Is there a way to simulate a Roku on a PC?

Discussion in 'Roku' started by OhioTom76, Jan 17, 2014.

1. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 18, 2013
    I was just curious if there was any way to simulate a Roku player on a PC. While this sounds kind of pointless, I'm thinking in terms of what if there were some streaming channels that were only available to Roku player and not via desktop computers. It can't possibly be that hard to create something like this, considering there are emulators for just about every other device out there.

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. stingyTV

stingyTV Founding Member Founding Member

Jan 16, 2014
    Hi Ohio Tom,

Most of the roku channels are already available on the web for free. In my opinion there would there would be little need to emulate a roku player.

4. sillylucy

sillylucy Posters

Nov 27, 2013
    I don't think you would need a Roku if you're on a laptop. For me, a Roku is beneficial to a TV that doesn't have a wifi connection. If you're on a laptop, you can watch vids all over the web. Save the money and time trying to find an emulator.

5. sidd230

sidd230 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 27, 2013
    The word you are looking for is emulate. Aside that, i don't think such a thing exists. Seems of little use. Most channels have alternatives online. Web based ore media centre program based. See: Plex Channels.

6. CordShifter

CordShifter Member

May 4, 2014
    Everyone here is right. A PC actually allows you a lot more freedom as far as content goes.

You give up a little as far as being unwieldy, but you have more freedom with content.

7. Fauxpeux

Fauxpeux Well-Known Member

May 2, 2014
    Here (I think)
    If you want to emulate the interface, and you have a Windows 8 machine, you can just add the apps/channels to the metro menu. It won't be exactly the same, but it'll recreate the experience of scrolling through the main menu somewhat. You may also have some luck with a Home Theater PC, but I don't even know if those exist anymore.

8. jfplacek

jfplacek New Member

Mar 21, 2016
    if you don't know an answer please just stay out of the discussion.
    HBOnow does not allow sign up or billing on PC. If you had a ROKU emulator, you would be able to access HBO programming on your PC that is not currently available. So.. is there some one that DOES know the answer to this question?

9. Lost in Delaware

Lost in Delaware Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2016

Your first post and you come in with an attitude?

Wow.....

Anyway....

The OP can try this..have no idea if it works..but it says Roku Emulator in Python programming

https://github.com/jcarbaugh/python-roku/tree/master/roku/emulator

10. Ashok Kumar

Ashok Kumar New Member

Jul 27, 2016
    Hi, I have created a Roku Simulator please check it https://www.rokuje.com/

11. ROKUJE

ROKUJE New Member

Aug 1, 2016
    check out this website https://rokuje.com/

View attachment upload_2016-8-1_11-15-36.png