Is the Fire TV not just a souped up Amazon Kindle Fire tablet?

Discussion in 'Fire TV' started by HitmanActual, Apr 4, 2014.

1. HitmanActual

HitmanActual Posters

Nov 11, 2012
    Am I wrong here? Everything I look at; videos, images, write-ups, it all seems like from what I'm seeing the fire tv is just a kindle fire HD on steroids. More processing power and graphics rendering, but all the other elements seem to be there down to the apps which appear to be the same apps blown up for the big little screen.

Jory likes this.
  2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Big Dan

Big Dan What cord? Founding Member

Apr 8, 2014
    New York
    I'm not buying into the Fire TV because of that reason. I bought a first-gen Kindle Fire in early 2012 and haven't received one software update. Not a single update. Don't get me wrong it runs fine but I hoping to see some updates especially to Silk (the browser) which is akin to using IE 6 in 2014.

When Gen 2 comes out of the Fire TV you can best your last dollar that these boxes will never see another update.

Jory likes this.
  4. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    I bought this last August, and I have been very happy with the purchase. I wanted a player with the streaming options I use (Amazon / Netflix / Crackle). I very seldom have buffering issues and Prime Instant Video loads very quick.
    As to updates, I do know one is currently on the way. I am quite excited for this one as it allows for a Bluetooth headset.

5. olandir

olandir Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    Well I think the fireTV is so that you can stream to your TV whereas the kindle Fire is a tablet for watching content on. So while they may have the same specs, they are used for two different things

Like the difference between an iPad and AppleTV

sweller likes this.