is Apple's new service revolutionary?

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by JulianWilliams, Jan 15, 2015.

1. JulianWilliams

JulianWilliams Member

Jan 15, 2015
    Is Apple's new service revolutionary in any way or is it just a copycat of stuff like Netflix? I haven't had a chance to take a proper look at them yet, so, are they good value? Would you consider dumping a service like Netflix in order to sign up with this service?

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. derrek

derrek Member

Mar 31, 2015
    Which service are you referring to? If it is Apple TV you mean I wouldn't recommend dumping Netflix, the tv shows and films require payment for each one you view. In my opinion Netflix provides a much better value, you have 100s of episodes and films to watch for a single payment.

4. vntomboy

vntomboy Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2015
    Lol apple hasn't been revolutionary for a long time. They basically just follow what's hot on the market and charge a ridiculous price for their version. Netflix is way way WAY better.

5. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2015
    I hope Apple is not taking over anything out there. Their price is just way too ridiculous for normal ordinary people to conceive paying. It took me years before I even have an iPhone, and it was not my choice either. I inherit it :)

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Apple is probably my least favourite company when it comes to technology. While I know there are lots of people that love their iphone, iPads and iTunes libraries, I find them less usable and certainly more expensive than other alternatives.

While apple may have been a pioneer in the early days, I think the competition as caught up and surpassed what apple are doing. Maybe that's part of the problem, apple don't appear to be doing anything new and innovative at the moment, I think they're just hoping that apple users will stick with the company and blindly buy or upgrade because of the brand.

7. olandir

olandir Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    For those that don't know. Apple is planning to launch an internet based broadcast service that will be similar to PlayStation Vue and Sling (basically cable but over the internet). It will be available only to AppleTV, Ipad, and Iphone users. It will probably coincide with the launch of a new AppleTV (note appleTV is a device like a Roku, what we're talking about is a service similiar to Sling or PlayStation Vue)

Not much is known about it. I have no idea if it will include local stations or not, but it will have a price tag similar to Vue if not higher, it will ONLY be for apple devices, and knowing Apple, it'll have some kinda wow factor that we haven't even thought of yet.

You know how Apple is, they take something that's already been done, put their shine on it, give it a spiffy name, and then charge twice as much. :)

And everyone buys it because it's the greatest thing ever!

alg35536 likes this.
  8. derrek

derrek Member

Mar 31, 2015
    I actually thought that way before I got a free iPhone for 'work'. It's not the greatest thing ever but it's pretty good technology for $0 in 2015. Streaming tv series on it actually works, although one would think the screen is too small or low resolution, it isn't.

9. UnslaadKrosis

UnslaadKrosis Jobless Dragon Priest.

Jan 31, 2016
    Tamriel (Well mostly)
    Yep, it's revolutionary. In the sense that that the amount of money going out of your pocket into theirs will be revolutionary. Apple hasn't innovated anything, well... since forever. They just put their brand with a ridiculous I in front of whatever is popular, call it 'innovative'. (iCloud. Really. Can't you get any less innovative than this?) And charge a fortune. I'd recommend you stick with Netflix.Much more bang for your buck, and is a lot better in almost every possible way.

10. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    For a while I thought people were going a bit overboard on criticizing Apple. 'Surely they're not that bad,' I thought. But then they released the iPencil, or whatever it's called, and... yeah. Apple is not innovative. Netflix is better.

UnslaadKrosis likes this.
  11. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    They do seem to be trying to put something together which is different from anyone else - but can they really do that at this point? If they charge a monthly fee, then they have to beat out established services (ex: HBO / Netflix / Amazon / Hulu). Or, if they want to go the ad-supported route, there are still some to beat (ex: YouTube / Crackle).

I am not discounting the idea Apple could figure out a way to get themselves into this market, but they will have to offer something better, cheaper, or both to get my attention.

12. UnslaadKrosis

UnslaadKrosis Jobless Dragon Priest.

Jan 31, 2016
    Tamriel (Well mostly)
    They'll probably go for a pay-per-episode plan with a tagline of 'It's like nothing you've ever seen'. That will get people's attention. That's how Apple has operated until now, charging ridiculously high for simple things, all the while maintaining the 'it's soo innovative!' farce. And seeing how the company has every other of its competitors beat with respect to revenues, people will eat that right up.

13. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    It sounds pretty amazing!