Is a PSP worth it these days?

Discussion in 'Gaming Consoles' started by FuZyOn, Apr 5, 2015.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2015
    I have an old PSP 3000 laying around and I was wondering if there is something useful that I can do with it?
    Right now I'm using it as an emulator for old consoles and it's alright, but I'd like to do more than that.

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. jamiew23

jamiew23 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2015
    With the uprising of smartphones I'd say handheld consoles are slowly on the way out. Some of the games you can get on your phones now are amazing. for example you can get GTA San Andreas!

I'm not really sure what you could do with your PSP maybe hack it and see what cool 3rd party games are out there maybe? I got bored of my PSP within a month when I had one :p

4. vntomboy

vntomboy Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2015
    Is sony even releasing games for the PSP anymore?

5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2015
    They aren't anymore. They dropped support for PSP a couple of years ago I think, but you can easily crack the games already available if you want to play something on it.

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    I very much doubt if it's worth buying a portable gaming device these days, especially with the popularity of smart phones and tablets.

I don't think the PSP or the Nintendo 3DS sold as many units as was anticipated either, certainly not here in the UK anyway.

7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2015
    Yeah, you're right. I would only buy a handheld console nowadays for emulators. But even then, there are a lot of controllers for android phones that can do the job done, so I'm not really sure if buying one right now is worth the money.

8. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2015
    My son seems to like his very much! He used to have the XBox360, but now the PSP 4 and no complaining so far. Just cross my fingers!

9. Haruka

Haruka Founding Member Founding Member

Dec 3, 2013
    I used my old PSP to emulate ps1 games, though technically I only ever played one or two of them because I was always just playing PSP games. I don't think there's much use for the PSP other than that but for me just playing the games available for it is already enough because both the emulator and original games are all good quality and there's a lot of them to choose from.

10. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    If you have a few games you really like, play those when you are just kicking back and relaxing. Our oldest barely touches his 1000 PSP, but he does grab it once in a while to play a game or two he really likes. At this point, there is no gain in selling it.

11. UnslaadKrosis

UnslaadKrosis Jobless Dragon Priest.

Jan 31, 2016
    Tamriel (Well mostly)
    The PSP was not that good of a machine to begin with. And with the rise of the far more technically advanced and versatile smartphones, it has become even more redundant than before. The best you can do with it now is what you are doing with it, i.e. using it to emulate older console games.