How often do you go to the movies

Discussion in 'Cord Cutter Chat' started by mevsthor, Nov 15, 2013.

1. mevsthor

mevsthor Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 12, 2013
    How often do you go out to the movies? Either to the theater or the Drive in. Personally I don't care for the movie theater and I live near a Drive In so I watch movies there. I really enjoy that old timey vibe that the Drive In puts off.

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. mickey4533

mickey4533 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 18, 2013
    During the summers I go pretty much everytime a new movie comes out. However, once school starts I go to the theaters about once a month. I really enjoy the feel of theaters compared to watching movies at home. The comfy seats, refillable drinks and humongous screen.

4. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Usually very rarely, but for a couple of years I lived right by a movie theater - as in walking distance from it - so I was going more frequently, usually by myself on a saturday or sunday afternoon when the place was dead.

I am absolutely miserable in a crowded theater, and try to avoid that at all costs. We went to see 127 Hours in the theater when there was a lot of buzz around it, and the place was sold out. Unfortunately I had sat near the wall and as the place filled up we had to keep moving further down until I was squashed right up against it. I am horribly claustrophobic, so this movie was already going to be tough for me to watch and this just made it that much worse.

5. cliverederson

cliverederson Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Recently I've seen Gravity, Ender's Game and Hunger Games: Catching Fire in theaters. I've been going more frequently lately since having a girlfriend. I think about 3 times a year would be average for me usually. Especially when you have a decent TV setup at home, you really start to feel like it's not all that worth it. I tend to feel kind of like OhioTom76 said he does, it's not that pleasant of an experience for me usually. I'm not claustrophobic, but I can get a little antsy sitting in the same position for 2+ hours. We went to see Ender's Game and 2 little kids right behind us whispered to themselves the whole entire movie, and I couldn't bring myself to be the "a-hole adult" to shush them. I should have though. We even noticed the kids' parents went and sat way far away from them, haha. But I digress, I don't find many movies to spark my interest enough to want to go see them in theaters, but when one comes along it's mostly just to have a night out. Plus, it seems like Sci-Fi/Fantasy movies that are actually decent are kind of rare. We'll probably see The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug next.

6. mickey4533

mickey4533 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Oh, how was Ender's Game and Hunger Games? I've been meaning to see those but I never got around to it yet. Ender's Game seems like it would be kind of awkward since you're just watching a bunch of kids the entire movie.

7. rgiova20

rgiova20 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 29, 2013
    The amount of jealous I am experiencing over your drive-in is probably more than it should be. The nearest drive-in by me is too far to justify driving out there but every day it gets more and more tempting.

Anyway, I go to the movies pretty often, both by myself and with groups. Who I go with depends on the film. The last movie I saw was '12 Years a Slave" and I went with a small group of 2 friends and it was perfect. Both friends respect filmmaking like I do and it gave me people to talk about the film afterwords. A film I highly recommend by the way.

8. Haruka

Haruka Founding Member Founding Member

Dec 3, 2013
    I have never experienced going into a drive-in theater, but I really want to. We only have regular cinemas here, and I rarely go anymore because I'm more comfortable watching at home and I'm not really as determined to keep up with the latest releases nowadays. If we had drive-ins here, I'd probably be more enthusiastic to go out to watch a movie, since it would be an entirely different experience, and I have to say I'm jealous that you have one nearby. :) Enjoy it before it becomes totally obsolete!

9. Astdua

Astdua Founding Member Founding Member

Dec 11, 2013
    A few times per year, as there are always a few big title releases that will interest me greatly, so I can't miss them(and wait months for the bluray, ugh). On the one hand, I live relatively close to this big, modern cinema complex that is one of my favorite spots of any kid, but on the other, I've actually never been to a drive-to theater, so there's that.
    Also, some movies are simply too good visually or with the sound effects to miss them out on the big screen.

10. PSLoveCharli

PSLoveCharli Posters

Dec 7, 2013
    Washington, DC
    I'm a movie buff, but unfortunately I just don't have a lot of free time to go. There is a theatre right behind my apartment complex but rarely do I get to go there. The last movie I got to see was Thor: Dark World and that's only because it was over the Thanksgiving holiday.

11. Harvey

Harvey Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 18, 2013
    I used to go to the movies every weekend with my girl. We would watch a movie, good or bad. It was just our way of relaxing and just hanging out. But, recent events that made my work days and weekends even more hectic changed this routine. I seldom have the time to relax now. Thankfully, Christmas is just around the corner and I'm looking forward to a nice vacation. Anyways, now that I no longer go to the movies every week, I managed to save a lot of money. However, the downside is that I no longer spend a lot of quality time with my girl. I guess all things has its advantages and disadvantages.

12. FloraFauna

FloraFauna Founding Member Founding Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Rarely. I love movies but going to the theater is very difficult for me. I can't sit there for 2-3 hours staring at a screen. I get antsy and impatient. It sucks because I usually don't see movies until well after everyone else, but I need the option to pause and leave the room, lol.

Last movie I was able to sit through was probably Man of Steel.

13. miggy29

miggy29 Founding Member Founding Member

Dec 22, 2013
    if you're gonna ask me. I'd like to watch movies on the big screen as often as I could. It's a therapy for me. I'd like to experience the texture of the film, the sound and the effects. I only spend money on a well-reviewed film. Sometimes, instead of going to the movie house, I watch movies online. It's free, but it has resolution issues. It also has sound issues.

14. freeranger

freeranger Active Member

Dec 23, 2013
    I try to go once per month. The movies are just one more activity I use jus tto get the family out of the house.

During the Summer months we stock up on discount tickets by pre-buying them in bulk. Then my wife and I, the kids, or the entire family goes and sees every SUmmer blockbuster that comes out. It's always a blast.

15. pandandesign

pandandesign Founding Member Founding Member

Jan 9, 2014
    I used to go the movies quite often, which I would go to watch movies at least 3 times per month. Now, I don't have as much time as I used to because I mostly go watch movies in the evening time, that's what I get off work. If I really want to watch a movie, I would just go watch it when I have a day off. I love to watch movies at the movie theater because that's a great experience to watch movies on the big screen.

16. dapapas

dapapas Founding Member Founding Member

Jan 10, 2014
    They've done away with all the drive ins around my neck of the woods. I used to love going when i was younger.
    Nowadays, i maybe go to the movies 2-3 times a year. Things are so busy and we hardly ever any extra cash. My wife and I try to have date nights but work schedule and financially its just not possible most times.

17. smlewis00

smlewis00 Founding Member Founding Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Honestly, I have not been to the movies in quite some time. The only time I go is when I am visiting family at home. I usually take my nieces to the the local dollar theater. So I go maybe two or three times a year. The only exception is if there is a movie my husband and I really want to go see. We like to wait until we can rent the movie for cheap and watch it in the comfort of our own home. It is cheaper and we can pause the movie to go to the restroom if need be. We like using Redbox because you can rent movies for a little over a dollar. We even look for Redbox codes online for added discounts. We are very frugal. We also like to watch movies on Netflix instead of going out to the movies. We enjoy popping popcorn and watching movies in our home better than going to the theater. Saving money is important to us. We are on a tight budget so going to the movies is a luxury for us.

18. True2marie

True2marie Founding Member Founding Member

Dec 2, 2013
    I only go to the movies a few times a year when a hot flick comes out. Otherwise, I prefer to stay at home and watch movies. It's a less crowded and invasive environment.

Too many times when I go to the movies, I am sitting next to someone who can't keep their children under control or they're rowdy. Both scenarios make watching what's on the big screen almost impossible.