How much are you willing to shell out for a top of the line surround sound system?

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by crossunitedfate, Nov 21, 2012.

1. crossunitedfate

crossunitedfate Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Most of us love our entertainment. And for many, part of that comes from enjoying our entertainment in the best ambieance we possibly can. Which includes optimum sound with a great surround sound system. Sadly, these don't come cheap. So the question is, just how much are you willing to spend on one?

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. mevsthor

mevsthor Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Having the best surround sound system isn't really my main focus, however I don't like to skimp completely. I'd say a few thousand is too much for a sound system. That's just me though, it completely depends on the person.

4. HitmanActual

HitmanActual Posters

Nov 11, 2012
    I convinced my wife a while back that surround sound was necessary. Just never got around to purchasing. I wouldn't want to spend more than $300 to $350 or so.

5. rossonomous

rossonomous Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 18, 2013
    My top-end budget would be around £1000, but that's really pushing it! I love really good sound and I have a great size and shape for a living room that supports surround sound well.

I probably wont end up spending that much, but if I saw something I really liked, that's my max number.

6. cliverederson

cliverederson Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 19, 2013
    People always find it odd that I don't have a surround sound component at all to my media center, especially since I put so much effort into the whole cord-cutting stuff. I've used my dad's setup, and I just find it adds a whole level of complexity that isn't worth it to me. They're always changing inputs and using a bunch of remotes to make sure everything is all working together. And on top of that, dialogue is always too quiet and explosions and music are always insanely loud. If I felt like I had definitive solutions to these problems and could set it up exactly how I like, I would consider it. For the input hassles, I even bought my parents a Logitech Harmony remote, which was great for a while, until their TV played out and they got a new one. Now they have a Samsung model that doesn't entirely work with the Harmony remote, so they still have to break out extra remotes sometimes, like if they want to navigate onscreen menus to use Netflix for example. That whole rigamarole is a big turn-off to me, I use my TV's remote for power and volume, and my Mac mini remote for everything else. Sure, I'd like to get that down to just the Apple remote, but that can't happen yet. I did consider a sound bar type speaker for my setup for a while, but I just wasn't confident enough in anything I saw to take the leap. I guess I'm not a big enough audiophile, I can tell when surround sound is present that it sounds better, but generally watching my TV with the built in speakers, I don't notice it sounding bad. I am however, kind of a stickler when it comes to the video quality.

7. mevsthor

mevsthor Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 12, 2013
    I agree, goods sounds is everything from a home entertainment center to a youtube video. If something doesn't have good audio I'll shut it off no matter what it is. Most of the time with a home entertainment center it will not be the media but the actual system you are using whereas its more likely the other way around when it comes to youtube videos. Have you checked out any surround sound systems? See anything you like?

8. TheSmallBones

TheSmallBones Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 21, 2013
    I think it really depends how much money you make. If I was working minimum wage full time making $1600 a month and paid $800 a month for rent, that leaves me with $800 to spend. If I wanted anything decent I'd have to save my money for a few months, so I'd rather just stick with my small sound system. Although, I think getting a sub is totally worth it, if you watch a lot of action movies it can really make it a lot more fun to watch!

9. Coinsbee

Coinsbee Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 26, 2013
    I have a pair of pretty high-end headphones and a decent sounding television, so I'm not really all that interested in buying a whole new speaker system. Even if I was looking to get one, 400-500$ would probably the limit of what I'd be willing to pay.

10. lovemwaf

lovemwaf Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 21, 2013
    I would spend about $300 for a system that i think will be sufficient. I like surround sound but i think that there is a point of diminishing returns and i think that there would not really be that much of a difference if i spent a whole lot of money on something else.

11. sidd230

sidd230 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 27, 2013
    I would do upto 1300 USD if it means literally being blown away, if you get what I mean,

12. dieselfit

dieselfit Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 18, 2013
    I would pay as much as possible. If I had the money, I would spend it on the sound. Now if I was on a budget, I would probably not spend more than $500 but I do want to get what I pay for so I would go for the best of the best.

13. lovemwaf

lovemwaf Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 21, 2013
    I would probably spend about $400 for a sound system. I would not however buy a surround system. I think that they are not great for an all round listening experience. Instead i would buy studio monitors with a subwoofer and then hook that up to my visual system. That way i can enjoy great music and great videos and everything else in between.