How many other networks will follow HBO's lead?

Discussion in 'Apps & Channels' started by Sugarhill, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Sugarhill

Sugarhill Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2014
    So far, it looks like CBS is going to attempt the streaming business themselves. They are offering up a plan for about $6 a month. You get the current season as well as all episodes of a few of their most famous franchises like one of the CSIs.

I think I would be more prone to do it depending on the older shows that they would make available as I can simply watch the season as it goes along this year.

But, there seems to be a dash to be the next streaming worthy network and unfortunately, it's not ESPN.

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. whofan

whofan Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Memphis TN
    I hope other networks will see the overall value in this and that it works for CBS. I would gladly pay for just the channels I want without all the other crap bundled in. Hopefully soon we will see a more networks wise up and give the viewing public what it wants. ESPN probably won't jump on the bandwagon too quickly. The all mighty dollar that sponsors pump into the networks is a bit too much for network executives to ignore and refuse.

4. TVLovingGal

TVLovingGal Member

Sep 25, 2014
    It looks like this could be the beginning of a la carte programming, which is probably everyone's dream. I hope it works for CBS as well. I would love to see all the major networks get in on the game. However, I wonder how expensive this is going to get if we have so many streaming services.

5. Sugarhill

Sugarhill Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2014
    Well, I would advise to not get so caught up in cutting the cord that you're spending more than you would've with cable.

I like what CBS is doing, but you still have to really see how important the content is on each service as you add it to your stable of services.

Can you wait on certain shows until they are available on another service, then hold off, but an ABC option like this would be a no-brainer for me.

6. TPhoenix

TPhoenix Founding Member Founding Member

Jan 13, 2014
    Canada
    This is so essential and needs to happen in order to provide an eye opener for the TV landscape or rather the people running it. People don't want to pay for a bunch of channels they don't want and fork out unnecessary cash, yet it doesn't seem like either of the TV providers or upper management are listening. So I hope this works out for these networks, though they'll be facing competition from primarily Netflix.