How many devices are on your network?

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by kcut, May 8, 2014.

1. kcut

kcut Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2014
    More users means more devices and if everyone uses them at the same time it will slow down the network. It isn't just 1 shared desktop computer now, it is several laptops, smartphones, smart TVs, and cordcutter devices.

Modern homes might even have their fridge connected as well! What is on your network?

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. FloraFauna

FloraFauna Founding Member Founding Member

Dec 12, 2013
    There are two devices on my network, my laptop and my iPad. My phone is normally not connected to my network and my Xbox is rarely ever on.

4. Fauxpeux

Fauxpeux Well-Known Member

May 2, 2014
    Here (I think)
    Our "network" is just my fiancee's phone with a hotspot on it, so whatever we're using while it's on is what's connected. Typically, it's usually no more than our Roku, our laptop, and maybe my smartphone to use as a remote connected at one time. It's actually nice that way- since we're not "always on" there's less of a chance of us just vegging out in front of our tablets/computers/whatever.

5. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2014
    Just two devices for me. My laptop computer as well as my Ipad. Nobody else lives with me so it's just my own personal devices that use the network regularly. I let my friends and family use it when they come over though, of course.

6. Sugarhill

Sugarhill Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2014
    Wow. I feel excessive, but two computers, two phones, two consoles, a DVR and a tablet and I live alone!

7. mana4com

mana4com New Member

Nov 18, 2014
    First, I have a router plug in my main router, one setup with google dns (for the security) and the other with a smartdns service to watch netflix UK, sky go and amazon prime (I'm from Canada). I have two laptops + one laptop connected to the TV. Two android phones + two android tablets, one roku and one playstation. Also I have two phone line, primus talkbroadband + magicjack. All of this on a 15mbps Internet connection and it work pretty well without any lag.

8. aaroncampbell72

aaroncampbell72 New Member

Nov 25, 2014
    I used to have everything on a wireless-N network and I would get lags when I was watching TV, while my daughter was on her Netflix in her bedroom, and my fiance was on her iPad in the living. I hard-wired everything over Cat6 into a giga-switch and I haven't had a single lag issue since.

9. mattattack

mattattack Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Oh gosh, quite a lot. We have 1 nettop, 3 NowTV Roku boxes, 2 ipads, and a constantly fluctuating number of mobiles. Oh and 3 laptops and a NAS drive. It's a busy router.

10. digitalsatori

digitalsatori Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2015
    SW Florida
    Okay, so now I'm a little embarrassed for my setup. Let me say that, initially, a lot of my equipment was purchased for testing.

2 Xbox 360s
    1 PS3
    3 Rokus
    1 AppleTV
    4 computers
    2 Nintendo DSs
    Guest wifi for the neighbors or company
    iPod touch connected to house speakers

So. Yeah, I'm a *big* fan of streaming. :p

11. galmal

galmal Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Tennessee
    Good question! It's just me and my husband and we aren't gamers, so we really don't have much. But when I think about it, there's actually more than I would think. I have a laptop that is going almost all day, my husband has two desktops that both run continuously. We have a smartphone, but it only runs occasionally. Then there's the Roku, some days going non-stop as well. So I guess 5 devices, 4 of which are running most of the time.

However, they don't have problems with slowing down the network. Three of the devices are running video, and they seldom have problems with buffering. Compared to 6-8 years ago, it's actually pretty amazing what modern devices are capable of doing.

12. Big Dan

Big Dan What cord? Founding Member

Apr 8, 2014
    New York
    I have quite a bit of junk on my network. Not junk in the sense that it's not good hardware but junk in the sense that it sits there connected but not doing anything.

3 - Roku's -- A Roku 3 in my bedroom + 2 of the previous generations my neighbor bought from me. I let him use my WiFi and accounts on them otherwise he'd have no TV. At least he gets use out of my Netflix and Amazon Prime accounts. I rarely use either.
    2 - Sony BluRay Players -- internet connected (Netflix, Amazon, etc) neither are used often. One Wifi and one hardwired.
    2 Desktop computers - hardwired.
    1 Desktop computer - WiFi.
    1 Laptop computer - WiFi.
    1 Smart Phone
    1 iPod Touch
    1 Kindle Fire

That's 12 devices on the network. I'm using the cable company supplied all-in-on cable modem, phone MTA, and WiFi router. I do pay for the fastest connection I can get from Time Warner. I think it's 100mbps down but I rarely notice bottlenecks. The only time I really notice things getting sluggish, not even slow, just noticeable lag is when my neighbor and I are streaming at the same time and I'm sync large files via Dropbox on my desktop computer. Things get a little slow for web browsing.

The only things that daily use on the network is one desktop, one of my neighbor's Rokus at a time, and my phone.

13. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2015
    We mostly have 2 phones connected to Wi-Fi and another one in the afternoon.
    There are also another 2 PC's and sometimes the TV, but that happens rarely.

14. derrek

derrek Member

Mar 31, 2015
    There are at least 10 devices on this network and I'm not sure if my neighbours are using it too. Does anyone know if this affects the network performance? I haven't noticed any changes when checking the upload/ download speeds but I could be wrong.

15. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2015
    Oh gosh, we have three laptops, three cell phones, PlayStation, and ipad. This could be more depends on who will come for visit, but normally, we have eight altogether on a daily basis. In the evening, I can tell the network is slowing down when everyone is home.

16. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Millinocket, Maine
    On my network, I have two computers, a Kindle, and two Rokus, and one smart phone. My wife has one computer, a Roku, a Kindle, and a smart phone. However, we use our smart phones as our network, since are are grandfathered on a Verizon unlimited data plan. We tried a DSL connection a while back but our Verizon hotspot is much faster than we could get from Comcast.

17. olandir

olandir Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    3 Rokus
    2 laptops
    1 desktop
    and a partridge in a pair tree :)

18. ImariFutari

ImariFutari Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Recently, my household has been very, very small - since I'm pursuing college, I'm cutting costs by staying at the birds nest (i.e; my mothers' home). And since I was a little girl, we've never really had a lot of electronics in the house to begin with. Up until I turned 13, we didn't even have wi-fi! :D

Now, I know that I've got a laptop, a smartphone (an old one at that - I don't have the money to upgrade from the 4S), and that's about it. I know for sure that my mom has a laptop of her own, but she never uses it, so it must be disconnected. She does regularly use her iphone, tablet, and a game console from when I was younger so that she can stream movies onto her tv / use it as a DVD player.

THE MASTER-LIST:

• 2 phones
    • 1 tablet
    • 1 Gaming Console
    • and 1 Laptop

I'd say that this's a pretty average amount, especially for only two people living under one roof.

I know a few families with three or so kids that have some of the laggiest internet in the whole entire world - and others pay quite a lot of money to cover this lag.

I couldn't imagine paying an outrageous price for fast internet :heartbreak:

19. ImariFutari

ImariFutari Member

Apr 2, 2015
    That's cute! :rofl: "and a partridge in a pear tree" :h:

20. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Staff Member Community Manager

Oct 23, 2012
    You and me both!

4 Rokus (3 devices and 1 Roku TV)
    1 WDTV Live Hub
    1 XBox One
    1 XBox 360
    1 Playstation 4
    3 Smartphones
    1 WD My Cloud EX2 (hard wired - main storage for local media)
    3 Laptops
    1 Rapberry Pi Device

Also have a chromecast I never connect because... it sucks.

21. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    I am currently on school wifi so a whole lot