How come no one really posts or comments here except a small handful?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Lost in Delaware, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Lost in Delaware

Lost in Delaware Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2016
    Since I joined, it always seems to be the same few users who post or comment.

Kind of dead.

Did it used to be busy?

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    Generally, some people seem to slip in and out while a few others (ex: you & me) seem to post fairly regularly. That being said, I find I still get a good amount out of seeing what others post, which is why I am active. But, it would be great to see others post more as well with his or her experiences as I am sure we could all learn from each other's discoveries and mistakes.

4. Lost in Delaware

Apr 19, 2016
    I checked out several forums before deciding to make this my "home". It's been nice, but like you said, would be nice to get some more activity

DustnBones001 and LeoIrish like this.
  5. LeoIrish

Mar 28, 2015
    Agreed. With the number of members a part of the forum now, even most posting somewhat infrequently would be a great resource. I have really learned quite a bit from being on this forum, and I hope I have helped others.

6. Lost in Delaware

Apr 19, 2016
    I'm sure you have helped others. I know I've learned a lot from you in just the short time I have been here

DustnBones001 and LeoIrish like this.
  7. LeoIrish

Mar 28, 2015
    With the risk of sounding like a mutual admiration society, I gladly will say the same of you. Regardless if it is a good or bad experience, I love it when people post what he or she has found out by using different services and devices, plus whatever tricks they have used to assist with cutting the cord. Hopefully, more will join in since VOD services are now in half of all US households now.

8. DustnBones001

DustnBones001 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2016
    I agree I've been wondering the same. I wish this forum had more activity going. I hope I have contributed to that some.

LeoIrish and Lost in Delaware like this.
  9. Lost in Delaware

Apr 19, 2016
    @DustnBones001

You have, absolutely. I think the 3 of us do the majority of the posting here

10. LeoIrish

Mar 28, 2015
    For anyone reading this thread, I encourage you to post / comment more often. Although the cord cutting world has become more mature over the last couple of years, it is still new and changes rapidly. The best way for all of us to gain a better understanding of what options exist, is to hear from others who have experienced either a positive or negative, and can let the others know what took place and how.

I am not saying to comment on every post - or to create a new post on a regular basis - but to please join in when you believe you have something to offer. The more input this forum has, the more knowledge will be made available to everyone.

Lost in Delaware likes this.
  11. DustnBones001

May 11, 2016
    This really seems like the golden age of cord cutting but truly it's only the start. I remember when I cut the cord in 2011 there wasn't much options other than the big 3(Netflix,Amazon,Hulu) now their so much options and live TV over the Internet was a pipe dream lol. While some of these new services are pricey especially HBO Now you can cancel freely without being hassled by your cable company to do so. And no more equipment rental and other ridiculous charges. So while pricey you get so much freedom with cord cutting :)

12. Lost in Delaware

Apr 19, 2016
    Yeah, it's really nice being able to try different things without contracts and hidden fees.

DustnBones001 likes this.
  13. DustnBones001

May 11, 2016
    Though one negative is data caps :( luckily at&t allows me to bypass these caps but I have to pay an extra $30 to do so grrrrrr

14. Lost in Delaware

Apr 19, 2016
    So far, Comcast here in Philly DMA hasn't implemented them back

15. Lost in Delaware

Apr 19, 2016
    My prognostication is this...

When Comcast rolls out their own OTT service in the fall, they implement the caps everywhere, not just in test markets.

That way, they force you to go with their new OTT service by offering unlimited data on your existing Comcast internet service

16. WanabeFree

WanabeFree Active Member

Aug 24, 2015
    Ii generally do not like government intervention but the whole situation regarding internet access and data caps gets my dander up in a big way. I think the internet should be regulated like a utility. I recently moved about 5 miles from where I used to live but still in a very rural part of Northern California. To my surprise when I called to transfer my internet service which was only 3mbps DSL Frontier told me I qualified for upgraded 12 MBPS DSL and it was only $10 more per month. At only $39.95 per month with auto pay and no data caps I jumped on it. In the process I dumped DirecTv and installed a good OTA antenna along with PsVue. I am now saving about $60.00 per month and have more TV then ever. To be fair I think I am more of a Cord Shaver using PsVue but at least I am contract free now.

17. LeoIrish

Mar 28, 2015
    The great thing about the new offerings available to us as consumers, is the ability to pick and choose more of what we want, and leave behind what we do not. Regardless what you want to call it, having a PS Vue, Sling TV, and others being rolled out / soon to come (ex: Hulu), this allows all of us to use as much or as little as fits our needs.

As to the utility aspect of it, a big part of the problem is the FED for allowing (and pushing) for monopolies versus allowing free markets to dictate the winners and losers. Until this is corrected, I regrettably agree any ISP should have to adhere to certain guidelines.

18. njmurvin

njmurvin Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2016
    The problem is that the cable and sat companies are also providing internet services that are needed for streaming. Instead of inspiring competition among cable, satellite and streaming to drive prices down, they can (and do) use their control over internet delivery (speed and data caps) to maximize their profits. With $63/mo for AT&T internet, if I have to pay another $30 to remove the cap plus all the streaming services, I'm starting to approach the DTV bill that I used to have. It would be nice to have a viable option for internet from a provider who doesn't have skin in the television delivery game. Nothing is likely to change until there's true competition in the marketplace.

19. Lost in Delaware

Apr 19, 2016

Don't feel bad..my internet alone is $82 a month for 150/10 service

20. WanabeFree

WanabeFree Active Member

Aug 24, 2015
    My question is why do we need these speeds in the first place. Sure its nice if you are downloading full length movie and such but not at all necessary to get good streaming quality. I used to get by with just 3 mbps DSL and could watch netflix, Hulu & PSVue just fine one at a time. Now I have 12 mbps DSL and have absolutely no problems streaming two things at once which is all I need since its just me and my wife. The point is there are ways to cut the cost if that is your real objective but I think sometimes we get greedy and want it all for nothing.

21. Lost in Delaware

Apr 19, 2016

Agreed that it isn't needed for streaming, and i have wondered if i should cut it back myself..

But....

The 10 upload is crucial for me because i backup large files to a cloud service

In fact, my backup with CrashPlan is 500gb

The tiers below what i have drop the upload to 5, and the cost savings really isn't much.