How can i access my home computer through my laptop?

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by dapapas, Jan 10, 2014.

1. dapapas

dapapas Founding Member Founding Member

Jan 10, 2014
    I was wondering if i can access my home computer through my laptop over wifi. Both run Windows 7.

Ive tried Remote Desktop Connection but was unable to do so and i cant figure out why.

Has anyone had success doing this?

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. sidd230

sidd230 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 27, 2013
    The best, latency free solution I have found is Splashtop.You need to install the server program on your desktop and the client program on your laptop. You can even use it from mobile devices.

4. iagirl

iagirl Founding Member Founding Member

Dec 6, 2013
    I use Logmein. I can access my computer from my ipad or other computers. I've never tried it with a phone but I would think it was capable as well.

I like that I don't have to carry my laptop with me every where I go just the ipad.

5. WhataTV

WhataTV Founding Member Founding Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Jacksonville, FL
    Logmein is great.

6. kcut

kcut Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Logmein was great while it lasted but is now sadly no longer free. You can use it if you're not bothered about paying for that service otherwise what you suggested 'Remote Desktop Connection' is perfectly usable. Are you access it directly within the same network or are you going via the internet?

You will need to ensure that port 3389 is open and that you have assigned the right permissions. Go to computer properties > remote settings > Check allow remote assistance + Allow connections with NLA, then select the users.

This assumes both are using windows 7.

7. Rusky

Rusky Posters

Apr 11, 2014
    Do you mean you want to be able to access everything on the other computer, or just be able to run utorrent and certain programs?