HD Box doing weird things

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Mockingbird, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Mockingbird

Mockingbird Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2015
    I don't know if anyone here has any experience with this, but my HD converter box has suddenly decided to do weird things. It will just shut itself off for no apparent reason. Sometimes this will happen when I am changing channels, sometimes you can be sitting watching something for quite awhile and it will just shut off.

I have looked for the obvious, there is no sleep timer. I am thinking maybe there is something in the area that is a similar frequency to the box (or remote device) and it is actually what is causing it to shut down. All the connections seem fine, and the box comes back on, so short of it be frustrating I do not see an obvious cause. Anyone know of reasons this might happen?

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. olandir

olandir Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    Just a shot in the dark but... it sounds like it's overheating. Lots of electronics will shut down if they're overheating... if this is the case... maybe moving it to a more ventilated area... or it could just be defective.

Again, it's just a shot in the dark.

4. Mockingbird

Mockingbird Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2015
    Nope I don't think it is over heating because this might shut down within minutes, then be okay then shut off. In fact I noticed something weird last night when I was playing with the Roku box, I noticed when I used the Roku remote the HD Box went on. Now this might be weird because it does seem the problem happens only when I have the HD remote in my hand (I use separate remotes). I have been wondering if it is possible I don't have something grounded right in the antennae and I am picking up some other remote device that is shutting it down.

I have a feeling and I don't know if this is possible or not, but I discovered I can get Sirius on my car radio. I do not subscribe to this service and I can keep it on for quite a distance inside or outside the house. I am wondering is it possible that someone set up their Sirius to broadcast wireless and when they use the remote it triggers my HD box? they are both HD right? In fact just thinking about this I had a problem with my wireless phone base doing weird stuff, now I am really wondering if this is possible because this was before I put up the antennae.