HBO is Selling Direct Next Year

Discussion in 'Apps & Channels' started by drestauro, Oct 15, 2014.

1. drestauro

drestauro Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2014
  2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Staff Member Community Manager

Oct 23, 2012
    This is really exciting. These things tend to happen like dominoes falling. It just takes one big player to leap and the others, fearing they will miss out on the new revenue stream, quickly follow suit.

We could be witnessing the first real step towards a la carte TV! :D

Gelsemium likes this.
  4. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Founding Member Founding Member

Apr 6, 2014
    Great news indeed, if HBO is taking this step the other players will follow soon, we will be able to choose the contents we want! :D

5. TVLovingGal

TVLovingGal Member

Sep 25, 2014
    A la carte TV would be a dream come true! I'm excited about it, but one could go just a teeny tiny bit crazy subscribing to a bunch of streaming services which could end up being just as expensive as having cable. I guess we'll have to wait and see just exactly what HBO is going to offer us in terms of pricing. That's how I'll decide if it worth dropping one of my current services in favor of HBO.

6. Sugarhill

Sugarhill Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2014
    Yeah, I was coming through to read the excitement. I can't say that I'm too thrilled as I don't watch any of the shows that everyone clamors for. That could change now, of course. It will be interesting to see just how much it will cost and yes, who will be next. I would be much more partial to paying a higher internet bill with my choice of various channels as part of the package.

That seems like it would be the best way for the cable companies to make up for what they are potentially going to lose. Now, if Google Fiber would just pick it up on their expansion across the country, then this would be drool worthy, well for me.

7. AmandaK

AmandaK Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2014
    I can't wait! We're cutting our cable off in two weeks after the Boardwalk Empire finale! I don't have enough exclamation marks to explain how happy I am! I have been asking the universe for this for a long time. Let's just hope it starts before Game of Thrones comes back.

8. drestauro

drestauro Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2014
    The more the cable empire tightens i'ts grasp, the more channels slip through their fingers.

9. Sugarhill

Oct 8, 2014
    Oh, they still have an opportunity to cash in on the new horizon of TV viewing through Internet packages.

People will need the ability to stream all of these services, so upgrades will begin to be the new revenue.

10. AmandaK

AmandaK Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2014
    We're getting rid of the cable bill this week. We just need to watch the Boardwalk Empire finale (sniff). I hope the direct HBO purchase option becomes available before Game of Thrones comes back. Has anyone heard how much it will cost or when it will start?

Gelsemium likes this.
  11. Sugarhill

Oct 8, 2014
    More than likely, Game of Thrones will be a part of their introduction into the service. There is no way that they would launch after that show began, that would generate way too much negative press and it would look like they were bought off by the cable companies to delay their service.

12. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Founding Member Founding Member

Apr 6, 2014
    So it's a big week for you guys, congratulations! :) I don't know about those costs because I am in another continent, but I feel that you'll be paying a lot less.

13. Clint

Clint Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Sounds awesome!
    These days I'm more of an AMC guy. They don't make them like Sopranos no more...
    But I'd sure love to watch a little boxing!

They'll probably also welcome the opportunity to monetize their old content...

As usual though, this will only be available in my country in 2050 :banghead:

14. mairj23

mairj23 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2015
    I like that most of these popular networks or going their own way. Cable and satellite are too expensive, as the prices seem to go up every year. Streaming is the way to go. Just get the internet and your options are limitless.

15. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Awesome news! Huge HBO fan.