Have you tried using a VPN?

Discussion in 'ISP Forums' started by rash085, Jan 8, 2014.

1. rash085

rash085 Founding Member Founding Member

Jan 8, 2014
    In my case, I did try using a VPN but it is not free so I stop using it. If I want to be anonymous, I preferred using an incognito in chrome. If you have tried using a VPN, what company do you use?

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. lovemwaf

lovemwaf Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 21, 2013
    I tried using a VPN once or twice. I think that they come in handy especially when you are abroad and cant access sites from america or other parts of the world because of your ip address. The vpns come in really handy and allow you to get the results that you want or need

4. sidd230

sidd230 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Incognito mode is not anonymous! It just disables tracking client side. The servers are still tracking you. You are completely exposed even when going incognito.

5. rash085

Jan 8, 2014
    Yeah, I agree.

That is the beauty in using the VPN. It cloaks your real IP address and sometimes it also make your internet connection faster than usual. I did find some free VPN and using it every now and then.

6. rash085

Jan 8, 2014
    Oh, is that so? I seem addicted using Incognito since it does not save data in DNS Cache. I thought it is anonymous both in the client and the server side! Thanks for the heads up. I will probably use paid VPN again.

7. sidd230

sidd230 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 27, 2013
    You might want to look at Hola Unblocker. Great, free VPN service.

8. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 18, 2013
    I used to have to use them all the time for my jobs, especially when travelling. They are a pain in the butt. You constantly have to keep changing your password to login to them every couple weeks, and this is on top of all the other passwords you need to even get into your computer in the first place. And if you are with several co-workers in the same hotel using the hotels basic internet connection, in many cases only one of you can get on the VPN at a time unless you each buy the upgraded internet connections. When my boss and I would be at a public WiFi hotspot together we couldn't jump on the VPN with the same WiFi connection for example.

Even more ridiculous, one of the companies I worked for used a VPN token system by RSA - which recently came under fire because apparently they leave a huge backdoor to all computers in cooperation with the government. The very service they claim to be offering is a complete joke.

9. wahmed

wahmed Member

Mar 10, 2015
    VPN are great. I was visiting Pakistan and YouTube is blocked. It was a definite downer! But that's to the wonders if VPN I was free to enjoy.my superwoman videos

10. rightct

rightct Active Member

Mar 21, 2015
    When I visited Albania ( a European country ), every kind of content you'd easily find here in the US was completely out of reach there, and even though I was against 'cheating', I really had to access some of my essential websites there, like Netflix or Hulu, which I ultimately did by accessing a VPN through a company which calls themselves "Hotspot Shield" ( very serious fellows, if you're ever in need of a workaround for blocked websites ). Even though the Internet speed was acceptable even through a VPN service, I was still quite furious about not accessing this content freely, and that was the time when I truly shared the frustration of our fellow Eastern European people. :)

11. eol

eol Member

Mar 26, 2015
    I used a VPN service during the London Olympics to gain access to the BBC olympics video site (which was amazing and great). Only had it for about 2 months but it worked wonderfully and I'd definitely do it again for something like that.