Has Hulu Plus Increased The Average Amount of Commercials?

Discussion in 'Hulu' started by GeorgeB, Nov 15, 2015.

1. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Staff Member Community Manager

Oct 23, 2012
    My wife and I are unscientifically (and not very accurately) trying to nail down whether or not Hulu has actually increased the average amount of commercials they show per show or per household per session since they announced their new ad free service.

Truth be told, it makes business sense if Hulu is in fact upping the amount of commercials they show for regular Hulu Plus subscribers now vs before they announced the new subscription; but it's still pretty shady of them if they are. If, and let me stress that's a big IF, they are increasing the hassle on customers who have decided that they like the service the way it is and don't see the need to buy a more expensive subscription they ought to be ashamed of themselves. If they resisted that temptation, good on them!

To be perfectly honest, we're probably going to pay for the ad free service once they get their buffering issues fixed in our area. To us, $12/month still isn't super expensive when you consider that Hulu is essentially our cable TV replacement when it comes to all of the shows we like to follow and watch the same week they air. Tack on the fact that we can now do that without commercials, something we STILL had to put up with back when we were paying over $150/month for cable and internet *shudder* and this is actually a pretty darn good deal!

However comma... being the principled individuals that we are, if it turns out Hulu is showing more commercials to push people to purchase the new ad free subscription, we plan to hold off on purchasing the ad free version in protest until it stops.

Does anyone have any data or info on the subject that points to a more definitive answer than my own perception that it "seems" like the amount of commercials has increased?

P.S. If you are considering opting for the commercial free version, you should know that there is a caveat to the "no commercials" claim... Here's the fine print from Hulu's signup page:

So, in other words, be careful. This may be just the tip of the iceberg and that list of shows may increase arbitrarily and without warning. So people who have paid for the 'not actually no commercials' subscription may find themselves seeing commercials on the majority of shows they watch since the content providers are still in charge.

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    Actually, I thought I was seeing a few less commercials overall. Of course, this is not a scientific aspect, just what I thought I had been seeing recently. I would be curious to see if anyone has really noted this.

4. ptimkey

ptimkey Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2015
    Could not say. Been using PlayLater with adskipper for Hulu programming.

tiffaninichole likes this.
  5. olandir

olandir Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    Have I been seeing more commercials? The short answer... no.... kinda...

Hulu has been experimenting with how they do commercials for almost a year and a half now. They're been trying to figure out the best way to show & position commercials. I honestly think they've been putting way too much thought into this but hey, they're the multi-million dollar corporation, not me.

As a result though, I've noticed that in some very specific cases, there has been an extra commercial here or there, but I could watch the next episode of the same show and nothing. I think this is just a result of their experiments. It's random.

Hulu's no-commercial options is just the answer to the whole "Netflix doesn't have commercials why should I pay for streaming and still get commercials"... which honestly is the dumbest argument I've ever heard for not getting Hulu... most of the people who say this pay for cable which is significantly more expensive and it all has commercials.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this was the best way to fight against the whole "Netflix has no commercials why do you" stigma, but again, I'm not the multi-million dollar company. I did talk with Hulu reps a while ago about the fact that they needed to shut people up about the whole commercials thing, so I guess this was what they came up with.

Also, the reason why they have that caveat for the shows you mentioned in their commercial free package is because they came up with the commercial free option after they signed binding deals for those shows. They couldn't get out of that, so they just compromised. I doubt that there will be more shows like this going forward because now that they have the no-commercial option in place, they'll negotiate with that in mind for future content.

Hulu has done surprisingly well this past year and they are working hard to make themselves stand out against other content providers. I definitely think you'll be seeing more good to come in the coming year as well. I really think if they can rise above their slow start, they could really be a powerhouse in the streaming world and dominate. I've said as much too.

6. tiffaninichole

tiffaninichole Active Member

Nov 19, 2015
    I'll have to look into this PlayLater because Hulu's ads drive me crazy. I despise ads and lately I swear there have been more than ever. There have been so many times when I considered cancelling my subscription because of the ads. It's a paid service, why am I forced to watch commercials? So annoying.

7. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    i thought that I was seeing less as well. Not sure why.

8. Barbara Wallace

Barbara Wallace Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2015
    CT
    I love the ad free Hulu, well worth the extra $4. Great feed no buffering, good content etc. As for the ad before and after a show, so what? It is one thirty second ad. Also you only see the one after if you continue to watch that show( two or more episodes) if you go to a different show, no ad. As I said I LOVE it.

9. freeranger

freeranger Active Member

Dec 23, 2013
    We definitely watch Hulu more than Netflix these days which is a total flip flop for us. Amazon prime instant video is gaining as well in terms of show selection so, the moment they catch up and overtake Netflix with old shows and documentaries Netflix will no longer be economical.

So this things is a major development. If I can get all the current shows I need with Hulu along with movies then I get all the older shows and movies with Amazon which is essentially free with the Prime subscription we'd pay for anyway -- there's just no need to pay for Netflix. I can get the one off here and there movies/shows that Netflix might have and their originals via torrent.

10. AllessioR

AllessioR New Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Hulu commercials are increasing, both in terms of numbers of commercials and length of commercials.

The reason why they can charge 80-90% more is because people are EASY. They will just accept it and do it. Just like cable, this price will increase over time, and guess what, the user premium won't be enough and the commercials WILL BE BACK.

Why are people willing to be SUCKERED over and over again?

I am going in the opposite direction...I am going to cancel my Hulu subscription for the very reason that they indeed are increasing commercial numbers and times..I don't like being kissed while I am being f*$€>d.

Now, there is a way around this. A good hacker can intercept the packets and see the commercial demarcs. For example, packet pay load will contain "Ad x of y" where x and y are integers (e.g., Ad 1 of 4). Code can cycle thru these successive streams until x=y (e.g., Ad 4 of 4), and then allow streams after the final commercial. So there is a market for such devices.

Goodbye Hulu!