Has anyone used the U-verse internet?

Discussion in 'ISP Forums' started by pandandesign, Jan 18, 2014.

1. pandandesign

pandandesign Founding Member Founding Member

Jan 9, 2014
    I have heard of AT&T's U-verse internet provides very fast speed for those who want better interent service. I haven't tried it because I am thinking to subscribe to it at the end of this year. I am not sure whether or not I have to have a phone line because I don't have a home phone. Has anyone used the U-verse internet?

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Staff Member Community Manager

Oct 23, 2012
    When I first cut the cord I was with U-verse. I dropped the TV subscription and kept the internet. I'll let anyone else who has experience with AT&T chime in but It was NOT a good experience and I was most certainly being overcharged at nearly $50 for 15 Mbps down / 1 Mbps up.

4. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 18, 2013
    I've heard good and bad things about it.

The good thing is that it's true fiber optic cables, as opposed to companies like Time Warner who got sued for insinuating that they are fiber optic as well (they are, but only internally, not the miles of line that comes to your house). Also, based on the other posters comments, I was paying Time Warner $50+ per month for nowhere near 15mbps, and this was in the Cleveland area - so it's not like I'm out in the boonies or something. At best, my download speeds were rarely over 1mbps - even though the Speed Tests would "claim" 6mbps, so that is still way faster if that is in fact what you were getting.

A friend of mine used to work for AT&T, as an engineer with them plotting out their installations of it that they kicked off several years ago. I guess with the hold DSL lines, the problem was that they had to put up hubs which would power sections of a neighborhood, but the farther you were away from one of these and the more congested any one became the worse your service was. The fiber optic lines were supposed to solve a lot of these issues, but I don't have any first hand experience with them.

On the down side, when I looked into their pricing, I believe they too have caps of 250GB per month, which is kind of silly considering how much more can be transmitted across these lines. That's just as bad as Time Warner. Also, if you have a home security system that is not through AT&T, you should know that by switching to UVerse, you are no longer considered a "land line" subscriber, even if you currently have a land line phone service with them - it all goes through Uverse now. This may not sound like a big deal, but what they are ultimately doing is migrating all their true land line customers over to UVerse so they can get around some legal stipulations that require them to support their land lines for other third party services, such as home security systems. Ultimately they will be able to degrade any competing services for home security on purpose so they can pitch you their own offerings. It's a crappy move on their part that makes me not trust them too much in general.