Has anyone ever used or even heard of Boxee?

Discussion in 'Boxee' started by dieselfit, Dec 9, 2013.

1. dieselfit

dieselfit Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 18, 2013
    I don't see any posts or threads here so I have to assume that Boxee really isn't all that popular. I personally have never heard of it so I can't say I ever planned to use it. Does anyone have any experience with such a device?

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. cobywill

cobywill Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2013
    East Coast, USA
    I've seen them on the shelf at Walmart, I'm pretty sure the company was acquired by Samsung and I don't know if they are releasing new products.

4. Crodhmac

Crodhmac Founding Member Founding Member

Jan 27, 2014
    I actually use Boxee Box as my media player on my big screen TV. It has been a pretty decent device, but it has issue with being slow. The Boxee Box is really great at playing almost any format on a local share(similar to a WD TV Live). They also have Netflix and other apps and they do offer a browser. They even made an addon that let you watch TV on the box.

The Boxee TV(which you probably seen at walmart) offers only apps and the ability to watch TV on it. It does not allow you to watch locally hosted files and is much more stripped down. It is a subpar box to the Boxee Box.

Boxee as a company has been bought out by Samsung so we might be seeing their software on Samsung TVs and other boxes soon.

As for my Boxee Box, I am going to be replacing it with a WD TV soon as it offers the same features(minus the browser which I never use any more) and gives me access to Hulu Plus.

5. BlessedBlogger

BlessedBlogger Founding Member Founding Member

Feb 8, 2014
    We were selected as a beta tester for the Boxee TV/Boxee Cloud DVR. We already had a Roku and a PC media center so we were pretty familiar with how that sort of thing works. We were not impressed. The cloud DVR wasn't very functional and user interface wasn't very intuitive either. It didn't have a Hulu or Amazon Instant Video apps and it was constantly buggy or crashing. It just didn't work very well. Maybe they've improved it since purchased by Samsung? We're happy with our Roku 2 & 3 and our Xbox 360 for viewing media so I don't think we'll get a Boxee in the near future unless they have some huge selling point I'm not aware of.

6. sillylucy

sillylucy Posters

Nov 27, 2013
    Good to know! I will check it out at Walmart. I just need something simple with a Netflix app. That way my mom doesn't always use my laptop to hook it up to her TV. It's cool that she wants to watch stand-up and all, but sometimes I need my laptop!