Google is trying again with Android TV

Discussion in 'Media Players' started by Sugarhill, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Sugarhill

Sugarhill Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2014
    They announced a new set top box on Wednesday and it looks like it's going to be Chromecast, but only much better and faster. I was reading about it on a tech site and they seemed genuinely excited about it. The unit comes with a controller, but there is also an optional one that looks like something for a video game that will make it that much easier to operate.

There is also supposed to be an update to the Chromecast where they are upgrading the internals and it will also be faster, but probably still a step down from the Android TV set top. I think this one may be a little too late for Google as I still didn't see anything that they would offer that is different from the other Smart TV peripherals.

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. TimW

TimW Member

Jul 21, 2014
    Orlando, Florida
    I think the big deal about the Nexus Player will be the voice search. Think about it this way, the voice search on the Fire TV is far and away it's best feature. Google is throwing everything into their "OK Google" campaign. Something of that has got to spill over into the Nexus Player.

4. Sugarhill

Oct 8, 2014
    Yeah, that will definitely help the situation. I've always believed that Google Voice was really for nothing more than them trying to develop their voice activation services. However, just as soon as they tried to sell the Nexus Player, Google has had to pull it do to issues with the FCC. It a certification from them and until they have it, they won’t be able to sell the unit. I can’t believe that a company as large as Google wouldn’t have had something so routine taken care of.

5. TimW

TimW Member

Jul 21, 2014
    Orlando, Florida
    I know! I understand the need for secrecy, but this is another major product release blunder. You'd think they'd get better at this.

6. Sugarhill

Oct 8, 2014
    Well, somehow, the paperwork was found or enough money was exchanged, :D but Google received the certification from the FCC and they don't expect the snafu to interfere with their expected delivery date in November. That happened so quickly that it's almost curious as to how it made news, but I'm glad that it can go off without a hitch.

7. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Founding Member Founding Member

Apr 6, 2014
    Google is a huge company and streaming should have Google's middle name, let's see if Android TV will be a success or not, I believe it will.

8. Sugarhill

Oct 8, 2014
    I haven't read anything that they are offering that would make it stand apart other than being able to cast your Android apps up onto your TV screen, maybe I've missed something, but the only market I can see them gaining are the latecomers to this niche.

9. whofan

whofan Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Memphis TN
    If Google wants to get into the game they are going to have to offer some original programming and not just depend on people to use the system with what little they have to offer. They need to follow Amazon and start planning some original shows and content to appeal to viewers and you may would see some more interest in this product.

10. Sugarhill

Oct 8, 2014
    I completely agree and if they really want this to take off then that's what they have to do with no concern to costs.

It's clear that they want to be a major player in the living room with this and definitely Google Fiber, so they have to make it an undeniable product.

11. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Founding Member Founding Member

Apr 6, 2014
    Google is huge, but the issue with them is just that they have too many things on their hands, so they can't make all their projects advance with success at the same time.

12. Sugarhill

Oct 8, 2014
    You know, I have to disagree with that assessment. Because Google is so big, I actually wonder what takes them so long with certain things when you consider how they structure their company.

I do wish they would be more aggressive with Fiber, but I believe that they are taking their time because they want most of the content that is transmitted over their service is connected to Google. So, once this gets going, I believe a much faster roll out of Fiber will occur.

13. Dandapatra

Dandapatra Member

Mar 8, 2015
    I would like to have an alternative to the Apple TV/ TiVo's, as my daughter has a lot of content on Google Play, like a few movies and several shows.

14. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2015
    South Central USA
    I have a Sony Google TV that I've had for I think a couple of years. There are only a few services available, and I haven't seen it updating in quite a while. I'm still happy I have it, because I didn't pay that much for it, and I'll be using it with Netflix if i re-subscribe to them. I'm not sure if Amazon works on there. I had an issue with it last time I tried, and the browser was ridiculous. I know that I could use Twitter on there, but I mainly use my iPod Touch for Twitter, so don't feel the need to use the TV for that. I'd love it if they'd update it with more services, but it seems dead in the water.

15. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    For a company the size of google, I'm quite surprised how long its taking them to sort this out. You'd think with the experience they have, particularly in this market as well, they'd already have a service to rival, if not better any other that's available.
    I think I'd be waiting a while before I invested in any new technology offered by them aswell.

16. vntomboy

vntomboy Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2015
    I'm glad Google are redoing it with android TV. I actually didn't think the chromecast was THAT bad, but I'll agree that it's no match for Apple TV. Here's hoping that they do better this time around