Good movies with disappointing endings?

Discussion in 'What To Watch' started by ghost_in_the_machine, Feb 21, 2016.

1. ghost_in_the_machine

ghost_in_the_machine movie expert...

Feb 9, 2016
    California
    I recently watched David Fincher's The Game, and although it was a really good movie with a really good atmosphere and a fantastic sense of paranoia, the ending totally took me by surprise and left me with a really disappointing taste in my mouth, that the context of the entire movie was changed. Does anyone else have movies that ended on a bad note for you? Whether it was too early, or simply just a bad ending?

Haruka likes this.
  2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Haruka

Haruka Founding Member Founding Member

Dec 3, 2013
    I agree so much. He is one of my favorite directors but I think he was still finding his way at this point in his career or the script may just have been bad. I liked how the movie played out all throughout except the end too and I think many do share that opinion. It just seems so hokey and I don't know what the writer was thinking doing that.

4. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    The Village. It was the movie that more or less ended my appreciation of M. Night Shyamalan as a director. Most of the film was pretty damned amazing, from the writing to the atmosphere to the sheer cinematography... and then he had to go and throw his nonsensical 'twist' in. If it had remained a monster movie I'd still probably be watching it semi-regularly today. What a waste of a great setup.

I'll also throw I Am Legend in there, though it's less 'the ending' and more 'the second half of the film'. The whole thing goes downhill once the dog dies.

5. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2016
    It has to be Signs for me. The movie started out great and then they made the aliens' weakness water. Oh, and that part how they cannot open doors but they are able to travel through the universe.

I'd also add in The Mist. I just hate in when the director murders all the characters. I mean, all those efforts for them to be all killed in the end? What's the point of the movie then? Lol!

6. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Aw, really? I loved the ending to The Mist. Seemed more realistic to me - though perhaps not how the soldiers were, like, less than a minute away from where they decided to kill themselves. At any rate I can see it being a polarizing choice.

And yeah, the water thing in Signs was pretty dumb. I rewatched it not that long ago and virtually the entire movie up to that point was good, except maybe for Shyamalan's self-insert.

briannagodess likes this.
  7. ghost_in_the_machine

Feb 9, 2016
    California
    I don't have any problems with the end of The Mist, I actually thought it was a really memorable dark ending and the scene where the tank emerges from the fog is priceless.

I was always under the impression that the "aliens" in Signs were actually some sort of biblical demonic entities, if I recall as it was confirmed by the director. The weakness wasn't all water, but the water that the little girl left behind became holly water because the main character embraced his faith...Actually, man that's bad.

8. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Looked it up. Not sure if it was confirmed, but I've seen a decent number of articles discussing the theory. The holy water thing is perhaps a bit hokey, but it at least explains why these creatures would come to a planet covered in stuff that would harm them. Also explains why they're apparently dumb as bricks, and can't open pantry doors.

... yes. It's not great, but I like this explanation more than the surface interpretation of Signs. I'll take it.

9. briannagodess

Jan 17, 2016
    Yeah, it's just a bit disturbing for me. Haha. He has to decide on whether his family will be killed by monsters or he will kill them himself. It just affects me that if only he has waited a few more minutes, they could have been saved! Ack! Seriously, this movie still haunts me up to now. Lol! I read that it wasn't even the ending in the book.

10. UnslaadKrosis

UnslaadKrosis Jobless Dragon Priest.

Jan 31, 2016
    Tamriel (Well mostly)
    IMO a really good movie with a really messed up ending was that of Interstellar. The movie was going so well, the science was accurate, the visuals were awesome, and the story was interesting. And then they did the whole sucked-into-the-black-hole-and-do-voodoo stuff. It just killed the movie for me to be honest. I went from, "Oh this movie has some great stuff!" to being, "Really Hollywood. Really? You just had to go after my sanity didn't you?"

Not to mention people coming out of the hall and saying, "Wow, that ending really seems plausible! It changes the whole concept of ghosts! So awesome!" :rolleyes:

11. ghost_in_the_machine

Feb 9, 2016
    California
    Steven King confirmed himself that he was actually more impressed with the ending of the movie than the ending of his book. Then again, he's not really the best at endings. Really good stuff though.

briannagodess likes this.
  12. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    I watched all of Interstellar up to the point where the plot goes flipsy-flopsy. And then I turned it off. I'm content with watching a lot of science happening, and I didn't want the experience ruined by what I'd already heard was a pretty dosh ending. Though I will admit that the robot in Interstellar was... kinda... special. Not good special.

@ghost_in_the_machine: What, you don't like how everything tends to blow up or collapse at the end of King's stories? But that's so realistic.

13. morgoodie

morgoodie Member

Feb 28, 2016
    I have to agree that The Village and Signs do not have the best endings. When I saw The Village it was really good until you find out the truth behind it all and then it is just lame. It could have been so much better if he had went a different direction with it. The same with Signs. There was so much that just did not make sense. I hate when you watch a movie all through and you are enjoying it and then bam there goes a curve ball and you just sit there stunned thinking did that really end like that? Almost makes you want the last two hours of your life back for such a bad ending.

14. Haruka

Haruka Founding Member Founding Member

Dec 3, 2013
    I remember thinking the village was pretty good, but I have forgotten the ending a bit by now. I just remember them being able to climb the wall and finding outside help for something. I don't know how much I'd enjoy watching it now after a few years but I did like the monster design in that somewhat, at least.

15. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    There seems to be quite a lot of movies out there that simply don't know how to finish off. There seems to be too many times now that a movie director or writer thinks they have to end it with a twist, a shock or a surprise and most of the time it just ends up spoiling what was a good movie up until then.

16. briannagodess

Jan 17, 2016
    Oh, I didn't know that! I guess the ending was really unpredictable and he must be really impressed because he did not thought of it himself, lol. I do like him as an author though and admire his work. I was just taken aback by the film's ending, but oh well...I have to admit that I did not see that one coming.

17. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    I think that a lot of films these days that are trying to make as much money as they can with sequels aswell, and so instead of a film having a precise ending, they'll leave a movie hanging, just so they can make a part 2 or a part 3 at a later time, when sometimes a movie is best just to leave it at 1.