Good-bye SlingTV - too many issues - including Support

Discussion in 'Sling TV' started by Video_Fan_Boy, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Chris McGill

Chris McGill New Member

Jan 26, 2016
    I couldn't agree more.
    Resetting every 15 minutes is a royal pain in the ass. it never ends. Freezing up, waiting, stopping, resetting. Try doing that every 15 minutes.
    AND NOW... 3 times in 2 days I had to login every time I launch the channel on Roku.
    NO customer support and all they talk about is...it's the fault of your internet connection. Its BS. All other Roku channels run seamlessly. It's why I pay for the fastest internet speed from my provider.
    All this talk about improving all the time? It's going backwards, and at $20 per month, no thank you. Goodbye Sling(lame)TV.

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Lost in Delaware

Lost in Delaware Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2016
    I have had nothing but excellent experiences with the Sling TV support staff the 3x I have contacted them about issues.

4. MichaelWalker

MichaelWalker Member

Mar 5, 2015
    If you cancel your sub, they might add a prefix to your email so you'll be sitting there wondering "Did they delete my account" when you can't log in to your account and never get a password reset email. I only found out by looking at the Roku app that was never signed out, and then I was able to log in to my account at the computer.

Not complaining...I get another free trial on a new account with the same email. :)

5. Lost in Delaware

Lost in Delaware Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2016
    I actually have a second account that I canceled but still am able to log in to on the website.

6. Double D

Double D Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2016
    Once the Yankees baseball season is over, I'll be looking to drop sling but that will leave me with some holes that need to be fixed. Is there a good alternative to sling? I hear that Hulu a YouTube will be coming out with live tv channels soon.

7. SteveH

SteveH New Member

Oct 3, 2016
    I have had Sling for several months now. Not sure if they made improvements, or if this is all just user error, but here are some things I learned that can help:
    1. I only saw the voice sync issue when running on a very old computer with Win7. It was easily fixed by moving the priority of the app to "High" in Task manager. You can also launch the app with high priority using a shourtcut. Google: launch application high priority

2. The interface isn't the greatest, but you can get used to it. Hopefully they will improve the ondemand selections over time. This has more to do with the channel's requirements than with Sling (Dish). Many channels provide at least the last 3 days of programs to watch ondemand. I often watch Bein sports for soccer, and seldom am able to watch at the time of the game, but it is easy to go back and watch previous games. And Bein is one channels that lets you skip forward and back

3. Many channels do not allow you to skip (eg skip commercials) even when watching ondemand. This means you sometimes have to get used to waiting for the commercials to finish.

4. I have not used the Roku myself, but a good friend has, and has had no problems with it.

5. I have not seen ANY errors in programming

6. I have had VERY few downtimes. Maybe 2 or 3 in the last 3 or 4 months and they only lasted a few seconds. Basically the time it took to close the app and launch it again and it was back up already.

7. The app loads quickly. I run it on a Dell Optiplex dual-core with 6GB RAM. Have not had ANY major issues with the app.

8. My previous cable bill was $180. I now have almost every channel I watched before and it costs $60 for Internet plus $30 for Sling (Blue package + sports). So I am saving almost $100/month. It isn't quite as convenient as having paid TV with a DVR, but for 1200 bucks a year, I think I can live with a couple inconveniences.

9. Video quality is HD. There are moments when we are streaming multiple things in the house (Youtube + Xbox Live + 2 Sling streams) that the video might degrade for a moment or two, but that is to be expected with Internet streaming video. I have never had any major streaming problems EXCEPT if I try to upload a YouTube video while watching Sling. But this is a reality of Internet streaming. Just like storm outages are a reality of Dish systems.

Overall, Sling is a good deal. Unless you are a TV fanatic and watch all those obscure channels in the 300 or 400 channel package, then chances are you will have (almost) everything you need with Sling for a fraction of the cost. I also got an HD antenna and combined with with NextPVR and Kodi to have a DVR that records the free OTA (over the air) channels. And I also subscribe to Netflix. Between the 3, I have more than enough stuff to watch a couple hours of TV a night. I also sometimes hop on the channel websites (like science TV, or even NBC or CBS) and watch shows there. There is more than enough content out there and you don't need to bundle everything at enormous costs to get it. But you do need to have a little technical expertise to get it set up and use it. If you don't then shell out the ridiculous money for a bundled system and do it all with a single remote.

LeoIrish and Double D like this.
  8. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    First of all, welcome to the group! Second, thank you for detailing your experience with Sling TV. As many of us have noted, there is not solution for cutting the cord which will work for everyone. Rather, each person / family needs to figure out what does and does not work.

9. Boise Jim

Boise Jim Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Well, I have to add an update. STV has been working a ton better for me, regardless if on the FireTV or my computer. I've even changed my subscription to the orange and blue, and everything has been streaming better. My only complaint now is the UI. Wish I could customize it, but I can deal with it.