Good-bye SlingTV - too many issues - including Support

Discussion in 'Sling TV' started by Video_Fan_Boy, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Video_Fan_Boy

Video_Fan_Boy New Member

Sep 4, 2015
    Call me a media diva. Whatever. I've been around the block. Maybe when they get their act together I'll give it another try, but for now my Media spend has to stay at LESS than cable to justify cutting the cord, otherwise the cord services start to make sense, right? It's not all about the dollar, granted, but that's where it started. And it matters.

Im giving up SlingTV because for that monthly cost I get crappy apps, the SlingTV service isn't always up, the GUI is badly designed and suffers listing errors from time to time, support isnt technical enough, and because Sling is acting greedy when they know they have all these problems. Let me detail those reasons.

So for $20 Sling gives me ESPN and CNN. Bloomberg is completely free on the internet but its nice to have it there. Other than the occasional movie that I may stumble across there's _rarely_ anything to watch on the other channels, mostly infomercials at night anyway, its ridiculous. To that extent, regarding infomercials it is no different than a cable subscription, it's a "cable lite": most of the time it seems like more ads than content.

For that money I also have to deal with the horrible experience on Windows 8.1. The windows app has a cycling sound to video problem loopback issue that horribly de-syncs the audio from the video and tries to catch up to itself, its hilarious hearing what words come up on CNN, but unbearable for sports - you have to listen to it like a radio because the video frame is way outta whack with the touchdown call! This de-syncing happens on ANY channel. It works fine for the first 10, 15 minutes, but the voice starts slowly falling out of sync. It gets worse and worse until the voice starts to try to catch up to the video, and then it cuts out, it never seems to catch up, it is kinda funny. I've thought about recording it for the SlingTV developers but I am sure they KNOW THIS. I've re-installed the app ten times, and check for updates frequently in hopes they'll fix it. The last version did it WORSE, the latest version improved the duration of bearable watching to ~20, sometimes 30 minutes, but eventually it goes haywire. It is not possible to sit and watch CNN in the background during the day, say, not even 30 mins without this issue cropping up over and over. It cycles, like I said, it eventually catches up and then a few minutes later it does it again. I will say that the SlingTV app on the Roku works much better, and it does marginally okay on Android - but on Android the audio/video sync issue crops up albeit in a milder form. Roku by far was the best consistent experience, in case this helps anyone else.

The Sling service isn't always up. It has failed several times. I seriously dont have time nor a desire to show via packet flow monitoring how the service does not respond, but I can say that when Vudu works, and Hulu works, and Neflix works, and HboNow works, but SlingTV DOESN'T, and it doesnt work on any device, im pretty sure Sling is having an outage. Trying to call support DOES NOT help, their steps are so basic, no log files are requested, no real technical troubleshooting, I dont have time to reinstall apps and if the app sucks so bad that I have to uninstall and re-install, re-enter my credentials and all that jazz, you can bet your @$$ its a badly written app because I dont have to do that with ANY other video app. its an insult when the app sucks so badly to waste a customer's time.

Sling's GUI is badly designed, and has frequent listing errors. Every once in a while I'll make a mistake and accidentally exit the app on the Roku: one back button too many, when the app is hanging just a tad - and it does so often, so you press Back button again and poof, you're out on Roku's home page. Usually at that point i just go to HBO-NOW or Amazon because at 1am on a Saturday night I naturally chose not to fight to open SlingTV again. Another bummer on the GUI is that you cant re-arrange channels, so you MUST click 20 times to watch CNN, basically. Twenty clicks. For that many clicks, I can just go to their web page. Wouldn't it be helpful to give you the option of sorting the channels "By Most Watched", how hard is that to implement on software. Then on the GUI there's another issue with the lineup listing of whats showing: this is not always correct. The times I've found a show I wanted to watch, it was NOT the one showing as "showing now" (and in case you're a SlingTV buff: yes, i know that the shows listed to the right are showing in the _future_ and are not viewable until they start). And even the description said it this show, but when I click "Watch" its an info-mercial (or something completely different). This does NOT happen all the time, but it has happened 2 or 3 times since I had the service. It certainly happens more than it ever happened on cable, or I've ever seen it happen on Satellite. Bottom line: Sling has work to do on the GUI, but this by itself is not a deal killer.

To me the deal killer is that Sling is acting very greedy. If you take time out of the hours left in your day to let them know hey, your app is having issues and/or your service may be down or degraded, after they're convinced and realize its a crappy app you'd think they'd at least kick you up a credit, a free movie, thanks, we know, we're growing but hang with us. But that is not to be at Sling. They are happy to waste your time and say its your problem. Forcing the customer to bear all cost is the priority, even if the product is not delivering. For that level of service, maybe its better to charge a reasonable fee like $5, $10/month for "works... mostly". If everyone else is fine paying $20 let them, but the least Sling can do is to be nice to the customers who take the time to report the stuff's not working and recognize it, own it.

SlingTV is a good idea, but they're not executing as well as they could, nor keeping an eye on the ball: customer experience and retention. In a future not very far from today, all these kids will be media divas. They better learn how to compete.

Catch you on the flip side Sling, taking my $20 elsewhere. Peace out.

LeoIrish likes this.
  2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Rob Lister

Rob Lister Staff Member Community Leader

Mar 31, 2015
    Wow. Tell us how you really feel. :)

When I first heard of it I was optimistic. I didn't subscribe to it because I kept hearing horror stories like yours. I figured I'd wait a while until they matured--technologically speaking. It doesn't look like that is happening. The packages they offer are not much better than a somewhat cheaper version of cable service I cut; same smelly dead rose, different name, and a lot more thorns.

Thanks for sharing.

Video_Fan_Boy likes this.
  4. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    Ouch! I was also very optimistic about this service as I hoped it would lead to bigger and better things. It may still do so, but from your input and others I have read, it sounds like they have a long ways to go. I do think services such as this will continue to grow (ex: TWC & Comcast), but perhaps they do not have everything worked out yet.

I (and hopefully others) really appreciate you letting us know your experience. Input such as this are why forums such as this one are so important. Streaming is still a relative newborn when compared to the cable providers, and having people willing to share their thoughts and experiences is very important.

5. Boise Jim

Boise Jim Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I, too, am growing very impatient with STV, and it certainly isn't passing the Wife Test. Doesn't matter the time of day- it is a streaming nightmare and I have 100mbps service to my home.
    It would be nice if people involved with STV accessed these and other forums to see how we actually feel about their product, but I doubt it. Just wish ESPN had a stand alone service...

6. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I laughed a bit when you put wife test. I'm assuming you meant wifi testing. I cannot stand when streaming will not connect to my wifi. It has to be one of the most frustrating situations when it comes to streaming.

7. Boise Jim

Boise Jim Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Ha, you assumed wrong. I did mean Wife Test. She doesn't have the patience I do and just wants to push buttons and everything 'just works, damnit'!

Green Sub and Rob Lister like this.
  8. Rob Lister

Rob Lister Staff Member Community Leader

Mar 31, 2015
    My system is also subject to the highly challenging 'Wife Test'. I had to actually present a Power Point presentation to her before cutting the cable. She expected a full cost/benefit and risk analysis.

9. Video_Fan_Boy

Video_Fan_Boy New Member

Sep 4, 2015
    Rob and Boise Jim: You guys are hilarious. A power point for the _wife_? LMAO Thanks for your comments, btw, I thought it was just me that was going crazy with Sling - its been about a week now and I miss CNN but hey, i can always get RTN for free and find out what Putin thinks, haha. Also, Bloomberg continues to stream free, which is amazing. Anyhow, just wanted to send a shout out to you guys, some funny comments! thanks so much for your feedback. :)

Rob likes this.
  10. LeoIrish

Mar 28, 2015
    Question: If you are a SlingTV subscriber, are you able to login to the network's website (ex: AMC / TNT) to watch shows?

11. Video_Fan_Boy

Video_Fan_Boy New Member

Sep 4, 2015
    LeoIrish: I attempted that using WatchESPN, since I directly paid for it as a (past) SlingTV subscriber, but alas it seems Sling has not yet negotiated this into their contract with ESPN because WatchESPN did not have an option for Sling as a "provider". I suspect it will be similar with AMC or TNT, but I cannot say for sure. Best thing to do is to go to those websites, and try to sign in using their TV Everywhere platform where a choice of your "cable provider" is presented and look for Sling.

OpEd: I'll put my money that you dont find Sling - which is yet _another_ reason why I dropped Sling: just not well thought through. Maybe in a year or two I'll try it again (if they're still in business). Sling's huge fail - including the ability to count as a "provider" so its customers can enjoy TV Everywhere - is only evidence that there's ample opportunity for a savvy and nimble competitor to eat Sling's lunch. Hope this helps.

12. LeoIrish

Mar 28, 2015
    Thank you for the input. I had a feeling this was the story, but I just wanted to make sure from someone who actually used it.

13. Boise Jim

Boise Jim Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Not sure if I follow 100%, but the only way I watch ESPN is the WatchESPN app. When you go onto the web site to enter the code, just select more providers and Sling shows up.
    Wish AMC had a Roku app...

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  14. mikmak8902

mikmak8902 Member

Dec 16, 2015
    I just cancelled my sling tv subscription. I tried it because of the $49 roku 3 discount for a 3 month trial. So essentially, I paid $10 for 3 months of it. Honestly, I wasn't impressed. It's hokey at best on pc (I have win 8.1) and works much better on the roku 3. However, it takes forever to load at times and the navigation is pretty clunky. My biggest gripe with it is the outages. They aren't just normal outages. Any time there is a major sporting event on one of their channels, it seems to go down. I read horror stories about last year's opening weekend of the NCAA tournament. Complete outage that left many subscribers hanging. I can't have that happen to me. I host a major party at my home that stretches the entire first two days of the NCAA tournament. I can't imagine having all those people at my house and my service drops ... which there is a very good chance it will. No thanks.

15. Boise Jim

Boise Jim Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Yeah, I feel for ya'. I have a hard time believing it's on the end of the channel providers, because I have no problem streaming ESPN (on the WatchESPN app), hockey, Sunday Ticket, etc. On those, every now and then I get a quick buffeting problem, but it's not near as much as Sling.
    Good luck, I hope you find a good solution!

16. dansb2

dansb2 New Member

Dec 23, 2015
    I only have a few days left being a Sling TV customer. Many issues with STV and my Roku 4. Support says"no issues", however, when I told them I have a stack of printed forum posts from customers with the exact same issues and documentation, they admitted there are some App issues with Roku 4. I will not pay $20 for a broken system. They are very unwilling to discount fairly for the problems. If you check with the BBB, they have an F rating. I wonder why?

17. WanabeFree

WanabeFree Active Member

Aug 24, 2015
    My 2 month trial subscription will run out in about a week. The only real use I have had for it is the log in credentials for WatchEspn. I will not be renewing it for now because I still have Direct TV for a few more months when my discounts run out. I will be watching closely for improvements in SlingTV or perhaps an alternate provider to come along.
    I live rural and can not get traditional cable only Satellite or OTA. I am also a little bit internet restricted as the best I can get is 6/1 dsl from Frontier, but it has been adequate for streaming so far.

18. Michael_T

Michael_T New Member

Dec 26, 2015
    I gave SlingTV a go and here Iam on a forum trying to make it work better.

I havent tried it on anything but my ROKU3. I tried the 14 day trial. It is a bit glitchy so far.
    I have 2 households, one with TWC TV and Cable, The other had Centurylink DSL and OTA. I use my slingbox 500 to sling my TV from TWC to DSL. That seems to work better than SlingTV. I have to admit my DSL connection is >8meg ( slow ) but thats as fast as it get out in the country. I really dont need 1000 channels ( 900 duplicates in various levels ). I was hoping to drop the TV portion and keep the internet and do SlingTV at all locations.

How many units can I use SlingTV on simultaneously? Like my Netfilx account I can use 5 or 6 at once. Tablet, phone, PC, ROKU etc they all work well.

19. Bruce Dall

Bruce Dall New Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Had same issue,

Online chatted with Sling TV support.

Uninstalled and reinstalled latest version of silverlight.

Working!

UPDATE: Out of sync again. NOT Working!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  20. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Not a sling fan either, stopped watching a while ago.

21. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2016
    I think at the very least, the customer support should have been able to handle your case well. It's one thing to provide bad service, it's another thing to blame the customer for your bad service. It just isn't right at all and maybe that is why SlingTV has received a lot of complaints. You treat your customer like that and you lose them. I'm sorry to read about your sad predicament, I do hope you find another online streaming service in place of SlingTV.