Favorite "Bad" Movies

Discussion in 'What To Watch' started by Haruka, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Haruka

Haruka Founding Member Founding Member

Dec 3, 2013
    I don't really like to watch "so bad it's good" movies all that much but I do tend to like some movies that I later on find out that most people consider bad. My two favorite 90s movies which are Street Fighter and Batman & Robin, for example, always just seemed like pretty good movies to me, as they were fun and entertaining and weren't too grim and serious like most movies are now. It wasn't until later on in life when I started seeing comments online that I found out that these were considered bad or so bad it's good. I still rewatch these movies today with zero sense of irony and I wouldn't even consider it a guilty pleasure.

Anyway, do you guys have any favorite "so bad it's good" movies? How often do you rewatch them?

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. UnslaadKrosis

UnslaadKrosis Jobless Dragon Priest.

Jan 31, 2016
    Tamriel (Well mostly)
    Recent ones? Then I upvote Freaks of Nature. IT's so messed up and all over the place that it's entertaining as hell. It's about a war between humans, vampires and zombies after their city (yep, the three species cohabit in this city peacefully) is raided by an alien Mothership.

I can't remember other titles right off the bat. Maybe I'll take a look at my library and find some others to recommend to you later down the line. :happy:

4. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Easy answer: Super Mario Bros. I went and saw that movie in the theatre when I was a kid, and at the time I thought it was absolute trash. Spent many years hating everyone involved for ruining Mario for me. Then I watched it again as an adult, with a few friends, and we had a lot of fun trashing it. Now I bust it out once a year or so just to do the same. It's, like, the epitome of cheesy 90s movies, and I can kinda appreciate it for that.

5. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2016
    I guess it would have to be "Click" by Adam Sandler. I read reviews online about how Adam Sandler's been losing his touch and he has been making far too corny movies. But I watch this movie over and over again every time it's on. I like its moral even though the acting's generic and the storyline is bad.

6. Haruka

Dec 3, 2013
    I think that era was one of the last Adam Sandler movies that people still enjoyed so I don't think it's widely regarded as bad. I have even read many comments of people crying during that movie. Though I agree with you that it was still predictable and generic. I actually don't hate him as much as others and I even liked Jack and. Jill which I know everyone hates. I wouldn't consider it one of my favorites and I also kind of hate a few scenes here and there but it was entertaining enough for me.

briannagodess likes this.
  7. briannagodess

Jan 17, 2016
    I'm glad to know that people still loved this movie. I find it heartwarming and very much true for most families, that we spend so much time on work and forget to cherish our families. So for me, the movie is quite realistic in that sense.

Oh, I loved Jack and Jill as well. It's the one where he has a twin, right? It's such a bad movie but it's so bad you want to love it, lol.

I guess the latest movie I watched with Adam in it would be Blended. And this one is super fun and entertaining, especially because Terry Crews is in it and oh, Drew Barrymore as well. It's also a family movie.

8. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    For me, the so bad it's good award goes to a film called Brooklyn Rules. It's basically a gangster film about the mafia, and how one child in a group of friends always wanted to be in the mafia, and ends up getting his wish.

From an early age he's getting involved in trouble, and eventually ends up working for the mafia while all his friends grow up to get respectable jobs, but they still all remain friends.

Think of a cross between the goonies, stand by me and goodfellas and you'll have an idea what Brooklyn Rules is like....

9. Haruka

Dec 3, 2013
    I didn't get the hate for Jack and Jill when I finally watched it either. I think it's just that most have grown tired of the Adam Sandler formula and I admit it has gotten a lot lazier but I didn't think it was that bad just judging it by itself. I've seen a lot of comedy movies that were a lot more boring but I guess the laziness of it does deserve some criticism.

10. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Do you not think that people have just got bored with Adam Sandler? In the wedding singer, happy Gilmour and even 50 first dates he was alright, but he plays the same kind of roles, in the same kind of films, and more often than not even has the same supporting cast.

You can't fault some of the films he's done, but I think he maybe now just needs a change of direction more than anything.

11. Haruka

Dec 3, 2013
    I think that is one of the most common complaints, yes. People just probably grew out of it and he hasn't done much to change with the times but if I were him I'm not sure I would change it either to be honest, because it works. All other comedians like Mike Meyers and Ben Stiller have slowed down while he is able to churn out these movies with seemingly little effort so I can't really blame him that much for taking advantage, personally.

pwarbi likes this.
  12. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    I certainly don't blame him either and like I said, in the beginning the film's did well and so why wouldn't he carry on making the same kind of films?

As with everything though, there comes a point when people have to say enough is enough, and I just hope that his latest films haven't tainted his earlier career.

13. briannagodess

Jan 17, 2016
    Yeah, I didn't see that laziness in the movie when I watched it though. But I can kind of see it now. I think it's because comedies are usually low budget and easy to make. You just need a script and some actors and you can finish a film in even a week. But it can easily be seen in the movie if it lacks some effort. It's not like an indie film where it's super low budget that you can just focus on the story. A comedy film has more budget than that especially with Adam Sandler in it.

14. Haruka

Dec 3, 2013
    I think the earlier stuff is safe. Whenever you ask someone if they like Adam Sandler they usually start with how they like some of the earlier movies. It really seems like there is a certain point when people just started to get tired and didn't pay much attention to his movies anymore, and it must be fairly recent too because I think even Click was still fairly well received which isn't that too long ago.

pwarbi likes this.
  15. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Happy Gilmour is already a classic, and films like the wedding singer are still widely loved, so your probably right, he'll always have those as shining lights in his career.

A change of direction can often work wonders for an actor aswell, and you only have to look at Robert deNiro and the film's he was making, compared to now to see that a change can often be a good thing.

Haruka and briannagodess like this.
  16. Haruka

Dec 3, 2013
    This is true but I think he has tried that already as he has done a few dramatic movies and he was even very good in them. Ultimately I don't think he really minds that much anyway. He still gets projects even if he is getting so much hate and he makes so much money out of each one.

pwarbi likes this.
  17. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Your definitely right there, and I can't see him going home to his luxury mansion overlooking Hollywood, and then crying into his champagne because a couple of people don't think his latest movies are any good, that's for sure, haha!

18. Haruka

Dec 3, 2013
    He has been seeming more and more tired and jaded with his recent interviews and appearances or even when he is acting in the movie itself but yeah I think he is doing it for the money at this point and I don't really blame him. I would do the same if it were me to be completely honest. I think anyone who would say no to the opportunities he is getting would be a bit crazy but I guess people just hope that he would at least put some effort into it since he is already getting paid a lot either way.

19. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Agreed. You'd have thought that really there's only so much money that you can make before you start thinking more about the legacy that you'll leave behind.

Surely he's rich enough now to pick and choose what movies he does, and it should now be about picking the right movie, rather than how much he's going to be getting paid.

I'd rather have $50 million in the bank but be known for making good movies than have $200 million but become a laughing stock and get a reputation for making any old rubbish.