Does the Roku 3 play H264/X264 files?

Discussion in 'Roku' started by cwescrab, Apr 1, 2015.

1. cwescrab

cwescrab Member

Mar 26, 2015
    Right now I use my WD TV Live, but would like to consolidate and use one device, Roku has the best and most channels. However, how is the H264 and X264 support?

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. olandir

olandir Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    Okay, so a couple of options here if you're trying to play your own content through a Roku. It all depends on what you have.

Now... Roku has a thing called the "Roku Media Player" channel. It's basically a channel you can load onto your roku for playing stuff connected to the roku's USB port (Roku 3). It's a bit limited on what formats it can play but you could connect a usb drive as big as you like to it or if you've got yourself a DLNA server sitting around, that as well.

Here's some info on that
    http://support.roku.com/entries/423...s-does-the-Roku-Media-Player-channel-support-

Now another option (among many but this one is a pretty popular) is Plex.

use your home computer to setup a (free) plex media server. Plex can play... pretty much anything any audio or video file you can think of. It encodes on the fly from your computer to your roku and it can also connect to NAS devices if needed on your network. Install the Plex channel on your roku, it's easy to find, and it only costs a one time fee of $5.

Plex has the added advantage of being able to organize and get cover art for your movies and television shows. It's very capable of taking everything and basically sorting it for you with very little effort on your part, especially if you name stuff fairly intuitively. Plex will sort television shows into seasons and everything.

The interface is amazingly intuitive. As easy (if not easier than) Netflix to find what's in your library. You can do it all from your Roku. However the computer running Plex does need to be on for Plex work on your Roku device, but it doesn't monopolize the computer. Someone could still be on it doing something else and as long as you have a decent machine, you won't notice.

You can find out more about Plex and get downloads at https://plex.tv/downloads

Don't be fooled, you don't need to order a plex pass or anything like that. Plex is free, the Plex Pass is only if you want to use their cloud services to store all your content.

4. cwescrab

cwescrab Member

Mar 26, 2015
    Thank you for the reply. I guess my question is have you tried it yourself with x264 or h264 files? I'm just wondering what the quality is like compared to the WD TV live.

5. cwescrab

cwescrab Member

Mar 26, 2015
    I have seen where some people said if the h264 wasn't "optimized for streaming" or it had AAC audio instead of MP4 it didn't stream right. They had to convert the videos. Which take time. Where as the WD TV Live has no issues. Now these threads were from 2013, not sure if Roku did any firmware or software updates to handle these issues. I would love to have just one box hooked up to my TV.

6. olandir

olandir Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    I have never used the Roku Media Player channel so I cannot speak to that. I have however used Plex. Plex transcodes as it streams to your Roku, so it converts to the best possible format for playing on your tv with no problem. As long as you have a high enough quality video, you should be good all around. I've never noticed an issue with any file type including H.264 MP4s.