Does Charter Throttle Bandwidth for Cord Cutters?

Discussion in 'ISP Forums' started by freeranger, Jan 20, 2014.

1. freeranger

freeranger Active Member

Dec 23, 2013
    I've been noticing over the past few weeks that my bandwidth is nowhere near what I'm paying for, for large chunks of the day. What can I do? I know if I call them they'll just deny they are throttling me right? Or will they admit it?

I'm not talking off a little. Like I'm losing 25 Mbps off the advertised speeds. I use speedtest.net to test.

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. cobywill

cobywill Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2013
    East Coast, USA
    I've heard stories of cord cutters being throttled by their ISP. The unfortunate thing is that it's absolutely legal. I think if you hit over a certain GB of data per month they may cut you back. Especially if you do a heavy amount of streaming or your downloading torrents.

4. Netpuppet

Netpuppet Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Waterbury CT USA
    Comcast/Kabletown does the same thing, or at least it appears they do. I use speedtest.net also. The ISP's use the argument that only 1% of their users are "bandwidth hogs" yet the penalize everyone. How can anyone be a bandwidth hog, when you use what you are paying for, sometimes through the nose too. I have sent emails to Comcast/Kabletown and I never get a reply. When I had Cablevision I would get this reply, "what are you gonna do?" In CT where I live, the state gave the ISP's their own territories, and their is basically no competition. I either have the choice of Comcast/Kabletown or ATT dsl. No broadband choice. That stinks.

5. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Staff Member Community Manager

Oct 23, 2012
    You may be running into a throttle due to your usage. Little known fact, Charter, along with most other internet ISPs including mobile, has a bandwidth limit cap. Read more about it here: http://www.myaccount.charter.com/customers/support.aspx?supportarticleid=2124

For example, I pay for Charter 30 Mbps. My limit is 250 GB per month. Charter handles this differently in different areas and depending on the circumstances. Their policy is to give you up to 3 warnings then suspend your internet service. However, if your area isn't congested their reaction can range from them doing nothing at all, to throttling you.

I'd check your router stats and see how much bandwidth you've consumed for the month. If you need help with that just let us know in the thread.

charter-bandwidth-usage-january.png
    As you can see, I've used over 280 GB already this month so far -- but there were quite a few snow days here in IL this month :). They throttle me as well but not as severely as what you're seeing it seems.

It really is a tough call because technically you are violating their AUP. If you bring it to their attention and demand they un-throttle you they may start sending you warnings every month. I'd wait to see what happens in February. If it continues into the new month complain. If not, then it was because you exceeded your cap.

Then you can start to look at your options. Just remember, most ISPs (AT&T, Comcast, Verizon, Cox etc) have a cap. Charter does offer higher tiers with increased caps. Their ultra 100 will raise your cap to 500GB. Their business class internet has no caps.

Be sure to look at your past month usage as well. If you don't usually come near the limit then I'd chalk it up to a high usage month and not worry about it. I do agree though that this practice of 250GB limits won't stand as more and more people cut the cord. Unfortunately, neither will the prices we're enjoying for decent speeds these days either.

6. freeranger

freeranger Active Member

Dec 23, 2013
    Thanks, it looks like you were absolutely right! 2 days into february here, my speed test this morning shows my speed jumped by 20 Mbps. And that's with 2 other devices streaming Netflix and youtube in the house so that's about right where I should be.

7. cobywill

cobywill Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2013
    East Coast, USA
    Wow George.. Charter makes my ISP seem awfully kind to me. Their limit is 250GB but it's between 5pm and 1am. And if you go over it's $1 per GB

8. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Staff Member Community Manager

Oct 23, 2012
    I ended up doing about 360 GB last month so that would have cost me an extra $110! :eek: If I'm understanding you correctly.

9. MattWelch

MattWelch Founding Member Founding Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Unfortunately the current answer to "does my ISP throttle" is "Yes, they may never admit it, but absolutely, yes, they do, and they will keep doing so as long as it is legal." Net Neutrality is dead and they will throttle you, charge you overage fees on data caps (I pay an extra 10 dollars every month because we *just barely* go over our allotted 300 GB with Comcast), and do anything to get you back on Cable TV instead of streaming. We have to fight harder than we are or it will not only be the norm, it will get a lot worse.

10. freeranger

freeranger Active Member

Dec 23, 2013
    Agreed, I think their overall goal is simple. Fight cord cutting by taking away its biggest strength. Make it less cost effective.

11. mostlyharmless

mostlyharmless Founding Member Founding Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Yeah I would love to be able to get a mesh network going and get business package - and split the cost across the mesh network

12. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 18, 2013
    You are getting way more than I ever got through Time Warner. They advertise 6mbs, buy my downloads never ever go above 1mbps. 25mbps is insane.

I'm wondering if it could also be a problem with some new neighbors moving in and hogging up some of the traffic coming from the same cable line.

I know with the old DSL connections through AT&T, they had these "nodes" that would branch off to various houses, and the more houses there were running off one of these, the slower the connections would be for everybody until they installed more of them.

13. birdy127

birdy127 New Member

Feb 7, 2016
    I have had charter for a year could never get faster than 6.0mb/s. I signed up for a vpn service that hides it to charter and now im getting 40mb/s on utorrent. So here in Grand Rapids mi charter in fact throttles torrents

14. ghost_in_the_machine

ghost_in_the_machine movie expert...

Feb 9, 2016
    California
    I've been with Charter for a bit. I know they throttle for torrents but I haven't actually been throttled while watching streaming services.

15. Worth Robbins

Worth Robbins New Member

Jul 3, 2016
    I had a call a couple of nights ago. It was Charter, offering to lower my cost for internet and phone, if I would resume subscription to TV. I cancelled TV a little over a year ago, in favor of DirectTV, streaming, and antenna.

Even thought I told the rep I had no interest in restarting TV, he persisted, so I said thank you, and hung up.

This morning, a speed showed concrete evidence of throttling. Although I got 60+ down at the beginning, as soon as file size exceeded about 4 mb, speed dropped to a steady 30. Here is a screen shot of the test.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bh0e9h02jt32f6x/Screenshot 2016-07-03 06.37.27.png?dl=0

I will continue to test periodically, but coincidence? I don't think so.