Does anyone use powerline adaptors?

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by kcut, Apr 17, 2014.

1. kcut

kcut Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Wireless connections can be a little flaky at times but you can't use a network cable because your router is too far from your device :(. One solution is to use powerline adaptors that use the electricity cables to transfer data around. This is how it works:

[​IMG]

and this is how they look:

[​IMG]

What are your experiences like using these adaptors?

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. cobywill

cobywill Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2013
    East Coast, USA
    I use this starter set http://amzn.com/B00AWRUIY4 to move my wireless router to a more central location in my home without running any more networking cable. My home is a modular so running any new cable is a lot harder than it sounds. Thus far it's worked out great.

My setup basically goes:

Cable Modem > Powerline adapter #1

Powerline Adapter #2 > Wireless Router > Everything Else

4. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Staff Member Community Manager

Oct 23, 2012
    How's the throughput speed?

5. cobywill

Dec 14, 2013
    East Coast, USA
    I haven't noticed any degradation in speed. And even if I did... I really got what i wanted... a more consistent Wi-fi signal throughout the entire house. My plan.. again is only 5 mbps... and I'm getting around 4.82 through a wall

6. sidd230

sidd230 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 27, 2013
    I use a powerline adapter for my basement and a second router to share Internet.
    You should not plug anything else in the outlet that you plug your adapter in. It really diminish the performance and make it unstable. Chrismas light drop the bandwith by about 90% and increase the ping drastically.

7. kcut

kcut Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2014
    My speed is around half of what it would be if I used a cat5e cable going directly into the router. I have a 30Mb connection and I easily get that with direct cable connection, but through powerlines I get around 15Mb which I am still happy with.

The key to good performance, especially with gaming is that the connection is stable. Powerlines offer this stable connection compared with wireless but at the expense of losing some internet speed. Although this may not be the case for everyone - Coby is doing well with his so perhaps it is something to do with the wiring and what electrical devices are plugged in.

cobywill likes this.
  8. sidd230

sidd230 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Yup! It will depend a lot on the internal wiring of the building. A lot. Good wring means less loss in speed and lower pings. In any case, it will always be better than wireless.

9. cobywill

Dec 14, 2013
    East Coast, USA
    You said it correctly... Speed wasn't as much of a factor. I stream just fine over my little 5mb connection.

10. kcut

kcut Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Are there any suggestions on how to improve the speed when using powerlines? I just had my broadband connection upgraded at no extra cost! If I plug in a cat5e cable directly from computer to router I can get 50Mb :wub:

However, on a powerline i'm still running at 12-15Mb :mellow:, so even if I get a 100Mb connection it would make no difference unless directly connected. Is it do to with the actual copper wiring or is it other plugged in electrical appliances that effects the transfer speeds?