Do you use a router or a hub in your home networking?

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by rash085, Jan 11, 2014.

1. rash085

rash085 Founding Member Founding Member

Jan 8, 2014
    I have read somewhere that using a router is best than using a hub. what do you think? Which one do you use?

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. sidd230

sidd230 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 27, 2013
    I use a very high end gigabit buffalo router. It sure was expensive but serves me very well. No dropped connections, great QoS and it even looks beautiful.

4. rash085

rash085 Founding Member Founding Member

Jan 8, 2014
    Wow, really?

I guess, when it comes to tech gadgets, the more expensive it is, the better. I will try to look for the one you are using. There might be a good deal offered online. lol :)

5. cobywill

cobywill Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2013
    East Coast, USA
    I use a Linksys WRT54G. This router is like a tank, a Honda, like apple pie. It just works. 24 hours a day 7 days a week for 10 years. I haven't touched it since I plugged it in. It's a champ. That's why even though there has been all these enhancements and fancy LED's they are STILL making these.

6. sidd230

Nov 27, 2013
    Its actually true for most things. Cars, houses, alcohol, hotels and whatnot. The world revolves around money. But cord cutting is cheaper than cable and better ;)

7. pandandesign

pandandesign Founding Member Founding Member

Jan 9, 2014
    I don't know what a hub is, therefore, I used a router, which is fast enough for me because I have set up the wifi connection using the router. The route does offer high-speed internet for me, which I am able to download a movie within 30 minutes. Plus, I think having wifi is convenient for me rather than using the cord to connect to my computer.

8. Pranav7Designer

Pranav7Designer Founding Member Founding Member

Jan 30, 2014
    I live in college hostel which is having wifi campus. I can see black router are placed every where. We get a very good signal and without interruption.

I think using a router is better than using a hub if you are carring signals to long distance.

9. TheSmallBones

TheSmallBones Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Like Pranav7 said, I believe that routers are better for carrying long distances. I also live in a university and see little black routers mounted all over the walls.

10. sidd230

Nov 27, 2013
    What i have realized is that HUBS are no longer used in modern networks. Routers are always a better solution.

11. kcut

kcut Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Without sounding too much like a geek (although people often call me one!), a hub and router cannot be compared. A hub is where you can connect multiple devices so they can communicate with each other via network cables. The technology is old and are now obsolete on proper networks:

[​IMG]

A router will route network traffic (e.g. internet) from one place to the other, so your home router will connect your computer to the internet. You connect to your router via cables or wireless so it looks like this:

[​IMG]

A hub won't give you internet access unless you have a router connected to it (or something that shares an internet connection). Hope that helps ;)

12. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Staff Member Community Manager

Oct 23, 2012
    I see your geeky and raise you the OSI model :D

A router is a Layer 3 networking device. Hubs and switches are layer 2 data link devices. Like kcut said, you won't get internet access or even a local IP address from a hub.

13. kcut

kcut Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2014
    OMG, the OSI Model! Haven't looked at that chart since my uni days. Hard to beat unless i start delving into the world of data packets :blink: unfortunately my memory doesn't stretch that far (lucky for CCF readers!), it needs an upgrade..

Two things that can be compared however are hubs and switches which have the same function (unlike a router), but switches have superior technology so make sure you guys purchase a switch rather than a hub.

14. Big Dan

Big Dan What cord? Founding Member

Apr 8, 2014
    New York
    +1. I ran one of these for close to 10 years until I got a free NetGear from the government for the broadband measuring thing. My old WRT54G was handed down to a buddy of mine a couple years ago and is still going strong.

cobywill likes this.
  15. sidd230

Nov 27, 2013
    An HUB cant guide the data. A router can. Thats the main difference. Its been a while since I saw an hub in practice.