Do you still want high end equipment?

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Sugarhill, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Sugarhill

Sugarhill Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2014
    I've always wondered this about people that are cutting costs when it comes to their TV. Does that also cross over into what they are watching their shows on? Do you spend more money on a high end monitor or do you still go for a really nice TV?

I personally cannot watch TV for long stretches on a computer monitor or tablet. It would drive me crazy. Even hooking a computer to a TV has drawbacks because it's still dependent on the computer's video card. I really don't want to do that much to my computers to upgrade, so if I'm watching over the air, then that's it, it's over the air or not on my TV.

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. TVLovingGal

TVLovingGal Member

Sep 25, 2014
    I'm like you. I don't like to watch TV on my laptop for some reason. It just doesn't feel right. I don't mind watching on a tablet, but I much prefer my nice television in the living room. I don't mind spending money on a nice television. My TV is still going strong, and I don't think I'm going to be in the market for a new one anytime soon, but when the time comes, I will get something nice. I'm also very happy with my blu-ray player. It streams Netflix, Amazon and YouTube. When that device goes to the big gadget warehouse in the sky, I might look into a Google Chromecast. I hear good things about it. Or I might just get another smart blu-ray player. No matter what we choose, it is still a lot cheaper than paying the cable companies every month.

4. Sugarhill

Oct 8, 2014
    Well, I am in the market to buy another TV. It will be most likely 40" as I really don't think I need a larger one and I'm not sitting in a movie theater. Normally, I don't believe in having one item do it all, but it wouldn't make much sense to not get a Smart TV, so I don't have to have an overabundance of peripherals around the TV. Outside of my consoles, I'd rather keep it neat and clean. A return to cable will really depend on my work hours as it won't be worth it if I'm rarely home.

5. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Founding Member Founding Member

Apr 6, 2014
    I think that TVs are expensive, but they are not that expensive, so it's justifiable an investment that can last at least 5 years, at least that's how I see it.

6. Sugarhill

Oct 8, 2014
    Well, I don't know what your standard is for expensive, but considering all of what they can do now, I don't find quality TVs to be that expensive anymore. Granted, you can get more than what you need and you'd have to consider that an investment, but if you can show some discipline, you can find a great TV for a great price. LG and Sony are always on sale, but while Samsung goes on sale, they are usually priced a little higher from the beginning. Those are the places to start with a search, though.

7. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Founding Member Founding Member

Apr 6, 2014
    I have a LG TV that cost me close to 300€ let's say a couple of years ago. It's an investment for me considering I could get one way cheaper, but at the same time it's a TV that will last me a few more years.

8. Sugarhill

Oct 8, 2014
    I'll have to go convert the amount that you listed. :D But, yeah LG is a good brand. The only other suggestion that I'd make to someone that is looking to buy a high end TV as an investment would be a Samsung as they have consistently released peripherals that will give an older TV the features that the next big thing is going to have and you don't have to shell out for a new TV every other year.