Do You Still Get Physical DVD's From Netflix? Did You Use the Service When They Primarily Did That?

Discussion in 'Netflix' started by ImariFutari, Apr 4, 2015.

1. ImariFutari

ImariFutari Member

Apr 2, 2015
    I remember back in the day when Netflix was just starting out, my mom, brother, and I would get them in the P.O box every week! I was still just a kid at the time (heck, I'm only 18 now - so it wasn't too long ago), but I still remember that, for some reason.

Now that it's online (and that it costs extra on-top of the streaming service) do you still continue to get DVD's from them delivered to you?

Personally, I don't get them anymore. But I am curious as to whether or not any of you get them anymore.

Were you around when Netflix only ever gave out physical DVD's?? Let me know! :D

[​IMG]
    This's what they looked like, for those of you that may not know.

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    We did use Netflix (DVD) for a period of time – we also used Redbox regularly as well. But, between the subscriptions we currently have (Amazon / Netflix), and a few free ones (Crackle / Yahoo), there is a great amount of content to watch. Also, we make great use of our local library. We just watched Mockingjay Part 1, Fury, and Birdman. I will be going back today and checking out Maze Runner and Big Hero 6. Yes, you have to wait a bit to get them, but the pricing is excellent.

4. JPB_003

JPB_003 Active Member

Apr 2, 2015
    I didn't even know Netflix still did this. I remember doing it a long time ago, but I don't even remember the few movies I got with it. That was back when I thought most companies like this were a scam, and was a bit weird-ed out by doing it.

5. Whitewolf2578

Whitewolf2578 Member

Mar 31, 2015
    I used to get the physical DVDs. But usually I just do the online streaming, it's cheaper plus if I really want to watch a movie online they are easy enough to get with downloading, plus there haven't been many movies that I just wanted to watch once.

6. Harmony Lassen

Harmony Lassen Member

Apr 6, 2015
    My family used to use the service a long time ago, but then they raised their prices for streaming and DVD services so we cancelled that portion. We could only order one at a time (I don't know if that's standard, or if that was just the particular plan we had) and it took a few weeks for us to get our movies, so the DVD service wasn't particularly beneficial to my large family.

7. gavino

gavino Active Member

Apr 6, 2015
    There was a time when I used the DVD service from Netflix, but it was never anything special to me. It's easier to get those from Redbox, and even Netflix knows that. Nobody wants to wait for the mail when you can go to Redbox, order from Google Play (or other services), or even download the movie elsewhere. I'm sure Netflix made a hefty profit in the service's more popular days, though.

8. Nate

Nate Active Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Yea I used to get 2 at a time, but now just 1. Works for me. Back when I first joined in 2005, I dont think they had streaming. I had the 3dvds out at a time. I remember getting all the Sopranos discs over a short period of time, and eventually watched them all.

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Millinocket, Maine
    Currently, I am getting three DVDs at a time. Since they have a lot available via DVD that isn't available through streaming, I use both. Usually, I opt for the two DVD option but when I am binge-watching a series through DVDs, I up it to three temporarily. The turnaround time on DVDs through Netflix is amazingly fast. They have an arrangement with the postal service, if I understand it correctly, where they are notified when a DVD has been picked up by the post office, and will send the next one even before the returned DVD arrives at their service center. With three DVDs out at a time, I have a new one coming pretty much every day, except when they all back up on an weekend and I return them all at once on a Monday.

Plus, if one arrives broken or won't play, they immediately send out a replacement. I have misplaced or lost two of their DVDs and sat on another one, breaking it, and that was no problem either. Maybe it's just the box at the one store that carries Redbox here in town but I have tried Redbox twice, and each time it would not accept my return.

10. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    I have to admit, while I was aware of the service I can't say that I ever used it.

At the time, here in the UK nearly every high street and corner store had a DVD rental service so most of the time, if I ever did want to rent any movies then I used their service instead.

Anything I couldn't find then I'd turn to Netflix but only the streaming service.

Now I stream everything on line, I can't remember the last time I rented or bought any form or media, not just movies.

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Millinocket, Maine
    Over the past several years that I have been participating in its DVD program, one of the things that has amazed me is the speed at which new DVDs are sent. Given that they use the U.S. Postal Service, I have been pleasantly surprised at how rapid the turnaround time was. However, for the past month, beginning at about the time I last posted in this thread, that has declined considerably. I don't know if the problem is with the Postal Service or with Netflix, but I suspect the latter.

I am still receiving DVDs within the time limits that Netflix considers to be acceptable but I am now on the outward edges of that time frame while the reverse was true up until about a month ago. What puzzles me is that they seem not to be sending me new DVDs until all of my DVDs have been returned. Since I am currently binge-watching some series that are not available through streaming, I upped my DVD count to the four-disk plan, at about the time that service declined.

Since I like to stagger my disks, I have always tried to send them back immediately after viewing them. So, when I receive four disks in the mail at one time, I might watch one of them that day, and send it back the following morning; watch two the following day, and send them back the next day; then the fourth one, and send it back the next day. But for the past month, whenever I have done that, after an uncomfortably long delay, I would receive the next four disks in my queue on the same day. This happens repeatedly, yet I can't imagine what advantage there would be to Netflix to do that, since it obviously diminishes customer satisfaction without any discernible advantage.

A couple of times, the delay has been long enough that I have attempted to report them as having not arrived, but each time I found that it was still within their allotted time frame. Their DVD options are fairly expensive, and this greatly reduces the value of it.

12. Rob Lister

Rob Lister Staff Member Community Leader

Mar 31, 2015
    I used the mailing service about 5 or 6 times when I first joined. When they split the subscription service, I didn't even notice.