Do you purchase electronics on the day of release?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by dieselfit, Nov 29, 2013.

1. dieselfit

dieselfit Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 18, 2013
    I honestly find the prices for the launch days of big electronics to be ridiculous. I mean people line up and wait for days and pay way more then what it would be worth in a few months. Personally I think I can wait and I would not spend that much on the first day of release unless it was something I REALLY wanted. What do you think? Would you wait?

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. rossonomous

rossonomous Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 18, 2013
    I don't and it is for that reason of them being silly prices. All you have to do is wait a few weeks or months and the prices plummet!

Unless I desperately want something to use straight away and I have the money spare, then I will never do this.

4. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 18, 2013
    The last time I did something like that was nearly 20 years ago, when the Sega Saturn was released. I had a unit pre-ordered and shipped to my dorm room for like $500. My parent's were thrilled to see that on my credit card statement, lol. Talk about a waste of money - especially considering that the system ultimately bombed.

The only other time I bought something near the release date would be the Motorola Droid Bionic phone. I happened to be on the market for a new phone just as it was about to come out, so I waited a few more days and got it shortly after it was released. It too was plagued with data problems and fell off everyone's radar as the "it" phone rather quickly. I still have it, but I am not sure which next phone I should get. The Galaxy S4 is more or less old news at this point.

5. PSLoveCharli

PSLoveCharli Posters

Dec 7, 2013
    Washington, DC
    Not me. I wait a couple of weeks for everyone to get all of the kinks and flaws out in the open. I depend on honest reviews on whether or not I will purchase an electronic -- or any item (big ticket) item for that matter.

6. dieselfit

dieselfit Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 18, 2013
    It's always nice to wait out for the flaws and errors to be ironed out before scooping out a pile of money on something that isn't worth the full out launch date price! I love reading up the reviews, sometimes I'll spend days on looking for reviews. I will not depend on one source of reviews though as they can be planted there by the reps of the companies.

7. Astdua

Astdua Founding Member Founding Member

Dec 11, 2013
    No, not really. Not only are they extremely overpriced, but I am not exactly sure of the quality of the product that I am buying, since it's new, it could be over-hyped, and you could have a lot of people saying it's the best, but like with all products, not only electronics, I like for the dust to settle down a bit, a few weeks at a minimum, then observe and decide whether I am going to get it. Do this next time and notice how your product might get hated on a lot after it's initial hype, because objectivity is a hell of a thing.

8. lovemwaf

lovemwaf Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 21, 2013
    I usually wait for people to test it out and figure out the flaws and then let the reviews plummet in to my hands and then i can make an informed decision on whether the product is worth my time and my money. I think that waiting in line is rather useless and the hype quickly dies down especially if the product does not meet your expectations.

9. fairydust007

fairydust007 Founding Member Founding Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Ohio
    I definitely don't. I don't want to pay an arm and a leg. I would much rather wait a little bit for the price to come down. I also like waiting for coupons or coupon codes to be released. I would feel stupid paying an arm and a leg right away when I can just wait a little bit to save money.

10. smlewis00

smlewis00 Founding Member Founding Member

Jan 7, 2014
    No, I do not buy electronics the day they are released. I am too cheap. ;) I like to wait a little while until the prices drop. When electronics very first come out, they are SO expensive! Only to find them cheaper a few months later. I guess I just like to be frugal and wait.
    In addition, by waiting, it gives me a chance to read user reviews. I love reading other people's opinions about different products. I let everyone else discover the kinks and issues with the new electronics on their dime. :)

11. pandandesign

pandandesign Founding Member Founding Member

Jan 9, 2014
    I don't usually purchase gadgets on the day of release because they are very expensive plus they increase the price because they know some consumers would eager to buy the gadgets. I would wait a few months and let the price does down before I consider to buy. I often read the reviewers before I actually go to the store to purchase if I really like so bad.

12. Haruka

Haruka Founding Member Founding Member

Dec 3, 2013
    I wait years if I can, and if it's possible I even just wait for the next few versions because surely they will come up with something better in the next iteration and for me there is not much merit in spending a lot just to be first considering that it won't mean much once your device is old and a better one comes along and you're left with a subpar device that you can't even sell anymore.

13. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    I never purchase anything when it first comes out. Besides the price always being higher when it is first released, too often there are bugs which need to be worked out.

14. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    I very rarely purchase anything on the day of release, simply because of the fact that you know a couple of weeks later, when the rush as died down then the prices will also start to drop.

Competition between stores is fierce these days, so the price of products might start off similar, but more and more discounts then start to get applied.

15. morgoodie

morgoodie Member

Feb 28, 2016
    I do not rush out and buy new electronics the day they come out. Simply, because they are way too expensive and I do not have that kind of money to spend on them. If I am going to buy them, I will wait until they are cheaper. I do not understand how people can stand in the lines and wait for days or however long to get the latest gaming system. But then again, I am not a gamer like that.

16. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2016
    Quite frankly, I have never purchased an electronic device the first time it came out in the market. Not for the Playstation, not for the Nintendo, not for the iPhone...never for anything really. I am the kind of person who doesn't just purchase things just for the sake of having them.

For instance, with my phone, I still have the iPhone 5s and I got it way back since my phone was dead already then. I don't even have a clue what iPhone we're into now, lol. And since my phone is working fine for me still, I won't be getting a new one anytime soon.

Plus, with gadgets, they always depreciate. I won't buy a new one over a hype only for it to be depreciating a couple of weeks or months later.

17. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    The functionality of new devices is also an issue with me, and how many times do we hear about flaws in manufacturing or in software on new devices that need fixing soon after they've been released.

Waiting a few weeks or months, you'll find that the item you purchase will be free of those bugs, so that's maybe another reason to wait and not go out and buy on the day of release.