Do you prefer plasma, LCD, or LED TVs?

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by kcut, Apr 15, 2014.

1. kcut

kcut Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2014
    When flatscreen TV's first came out there was only one choice which was plasma. It was hugely expensive but an amazing viewing experience (back then). Now there are other technologies available i.e. LCD and LED.

It is quite confusing now with all this variety available :unsure:, LED is the latest on the market but is it the best? Which do you prefer or are currently using now?

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. lovemwaf

lovemwaf Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 21, 2013
    I think that i would go for LED as i think that they have a higher quality. I would however go on to add that they do not really matter in my opinion. As long as the item is good and you get the right thing for you then neither matter to be honest.

4. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Staff Member Community Manager

Oct 23, 2012
    I'll let the A/V geeks around here fight it out but I can save you a lot of reading by simply stating that yes, not only is LED the latest, it is also the greatest when it compared to LCD.

Now if you're a true videophile, then 4k ultra is worth a look as well.

5. cobywill

cobywill Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2013
    East Coast, USA
    I purchased an LED recently and I will say the picture quality is amazing but I find mine a little bright for our small living room so I'm moving it to our basement and putting the smaller Plasma back in our living room. I used all the settings I could but I do find it a little bright. LED is also more energy efficient. One tip I heard numerous times is DO NOT use the out of the box settings on your LED TV. It should have either "Theater" or "Movie" settings. "Default" or "Showroom" settings are far brighter, and use more energy.

6. TinVanMan

TinVanMan TinVanMan

Mar 28, 2015
    Seden
    I have owned all three in the past and I don't think I will ever leave LED, unless something new and better comes out. It seems to me that it has the best picture quality as well as being the least likely to stop working for no apparent reason. This is a problem I had with both other types. The picture quality on LCD is great, but it sure doesn't last very long. And plasma... no, just no.

7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2015
    I like LCD's a lot, even though I heard they don't fare well against a LED TV in terms of build quality and lifespan.
    Still, I like it better.

8. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Having owned all 3 over the years, I have to say that LED is the way to go. The picture is 500% better than a plasma, you cant even compare the two to be honest and I'd say 50% better than a LCD television.

in my house we now have 3 LED TV's down stairs and im going to replace the TV's upstairs soon aswell. At the moment theyre LCD and when you look from one room to the other there's a massive difference in my opinion.

9. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2016
    I'd have to say I prefer an LED TV primarily because it consumes less power. Add to that, it provides a better display and contrast. It offers more color than an LCD TV. Its only downside is that it's priced higher, so much higher than LCD TVs.

UnslaadKrosis likes this.
  10. ghost_in_the_machine

ghost_in_the_machine movie expert...

Feb 9, 2016
    California
    LED is great, but I remember trying out a plasma screen when it first came out and was a big deal. Admittedly, it wasn't as good as LED when it came out, but I do recall a time where flatscreens were becoming a thing and the prices where really high, and now buying a flatscreen is almost a thoughtless decision. Interesting how the times change.

11. R34Dream

R34Dream Member

Feb 6, 2016
    I personally own two LCDs, but I'm keeping an eye on the new LG OLEDs. The deep blacks and vibrant colors are simply unmatched. Reminds me of the display on Samsung smartphones. The only problem is that even the 1080p OLEDs will run you more than 4k TVs of the same size, so I find that kind of ridiculous. Once the prices come down and the resolution goes up on these things, I'll be sure to buy them.