Do you experience any down time?

Discussion in 'ISP Forums' started by kcut, May 6, 2014.

1. kcut

kcut Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2014
    My ISP is pretty good when it's up and running, however they occasionally do maintenance work and it has a big impact on internet performance. They route the traffic to a heavily shared channel so it slows down for everyone in the area.

How often does your ISP do maintenance work / cause you down time?

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Jory

Jory Founding Member Founding Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Almost never! Amazon is another problem though.. Its horrid!

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Millinocket, Maine
    I use my Verizon hotspot as an ISP, and I stream for 10-15 hours a day. Usually, I'll have to reboot the phone once or twice throughout the day as, although it indicates that it is connected, my Roku will lose its connection with it. Other than that, no downtime.

5. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2015
    My internet only slow down during heavy rain, snow, and thunderstorm or when everyone in the house is on at the same time. I reboot the internet once and everyone is happy after that.

6. Sarah Price

Sarah Price Member

Mar 2, 2015
    I use Frontier, which has a small niche market. I recently switched over from another provider. At first I was mad because within two days I had to reset the router! I then had to reset it again about 6 times over a period of 5 days. Not cool! I had to call for service and some guy came out and re-did the equipment outside the house and he gave me a new router/modem to replace the one I had been given just two weeks prior. Turns out the original router/modem they gave me was an older model that would not have had a firmware update that was needed. It's been running smooth ever since. I really appreciate the faster speeds and it's not any more expensive than my prior ISP.

7. olandir

olandir Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    I use Comcast and I hate them with the fiery passion of 1000 suns. But they never go down, ever, at least not my home connection. 1 1/2 years and barely a blip. At work, it goes down periodically, I'd say once ever 3-4 months.

8. Mockingbird

Mockingbird Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2015
    My internet is pretty stable, once in a very great while I will have to re-set the router. My antenna TV is a bit more picky. If there is some bad weather in the area I might get all sorts of weird stuff happening, anything from losing the picture to things breaking up of freezing. It is a good thing these days that so many programs repeat or are available very fast, usually as soon as the next day.

Snow does not really bother the antenna, it is usually high wind, rain or extreme heat. Which in this region is anything above 80 degree's. I have never notices solar interference on my internet because it is DSL I guess, but I do get weird stuff happen to the older electronics. I notice the solar effects on the radio the most.

9. galmal

galmal Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Tennessee
    I have to say, we rarely, if ever, lose service. Sometimes, it will slow down some and my husband will have to reset the router, but that only happens every month or so and only takes a couple of minutes. We actually lose power more often then we lose internet.

So much better than internet service from 8-10 years ago. It's really pretty amazing when you stop to think about it.

10. Big Dan

Big Dan What cord? Founding Member

Apr 8, 2014
    New York
    I have TWC and knock on wood my connection is pretty stable. I lose power more than I lose internet and I don't lose power very often. Once in a blue moon if the connection feels sluggish I'll reboot the modem and all is back to normal.

11. ocx

ocx Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Earth :]
    My internet is pretty stable, when they are about to do a maintenance, I would either get a text message or an email regarding the maintenance (how long it would take, what time it would occur, etc). In my country, the weather almost affects everything, including internet connections, so when it is windy or some sort of storm, we would be affected, and can't blame our ISP. (It is so slow on stormy weathers I can't even open Facebook!)

As for the regular days, when I experience any down time, I normally reset the router up to three times, if it still doesn't work, then I would call tech support (who are useless sometimes, to be honest) and they would come in (normally the next day, which can be frustrating) and come in and fix it up.

12. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    I have TWC, and generally do not have issues. Overall, their service has been quite reliable and the speed tests always seem to match the speeds which I am supposed to be receiving.

Side note, I used to have more issues when I used their modem versus my own. I have owned a couple of modems over the years, and they have saved me quite a few dollars.