Do ISPs know what we are downloading?

Discussion in 'ISP Forums' started by YamiPrem, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Big Dan

Big Dan What cord? Founding Member

Apr 8, 2014
    New York
    It's all about IP addresses. Your ISP can see what IP address you're requesting/receiving data from and extrapolate as to who/where/what you're getting data from based on that.

What they do based on that extrapolated data depends on the company's policies and current legal framework based on jurisdiction.

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. vntomboy

vntomboy Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2015
    I think they do know WHERE you're downloading from and probably what type of files you're getting...so yes. They can figure it out if need be.

4. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2015
    I think they do watched and monitored what we are doing online. If they are suspicious about the activities from one ISP, I am sure they are obligated to report to the authority.

5. rightct

rightct Active Member

Mar 21, 2015
    Where I used to live, there were a lot of privacy concerns with both major Internet providers, as they also admitted they would in fact watch people's Internet habits, but only thoroughly inspect if they were suspected of anything considered illegal. However, I later learned that they didn't actually care of what their customers did on the Internet, but only did it because laws required them to do so. I wasn't afraid that I could face legal consequences anyway, as everything I did on the Internet at the time was to read news about science, sports etc.
    Now that I live in the US, I'm more careful about everything that surrounds me.

6. Mockingbird

Mockingbird Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2015
    Well this sounds like the Napster thing all over again on steroids. I would imagine that your ISP has a pretty good idea what someone in a particular geographic is looking at or downloading. I do think there is a danger if you are getting off into areas of the dark web perhaps, but over all I think if you fall into the profile of the average surfer you are probably okay. With that being said though, I would be very careful about the nature of comments that you make online, and what sort of stuff you are doing via social media so that you do not make yourself out to be a target for some government faction because you come a crossed as a crazy person.

Just like good behavior at a dinner party, watch what you say to who and be politically correct. If you decided that deviant things are okay, don't be shocked when one day someone calls you on your tastes. Some things will never be right no matter where you view them.