Device that stays on

Discussion in 'Help & Resources' started by Wayno, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Wayno

Wayno New Member

Apr 9, 2017
    Hello folks. Although I know this is a cord cutter forum, my wife and I are not full cord cutters. We are however, trying to eliminate the need for a cable box. I have a few questions about the various streaming devices available, as I am very new to all of this.

To begin, we have TWC/Spectrum as our cable provider. Per their suggestion, we bought a Roku stick as they said it comes with their app, which comes with a similar guide that is on the cable box. We still have one cable box on our main TV, but I am searching for the best device for our other TV's.

The issue I have is, that we like to leave our TV on at night while sleeping, for background noise. Our stick shuts down at some point in the night, and we wake up to the screen saver. Are there any devices that stay powered up at all times? Or is it the APP that is shutting down? If their is such a device, will it work with the Spectrum APP?

Also, do any of the devices on the market have a remote that is more like a cable box remote, with channel buttons, or a back button, etc.?

Sorry for all the novice questions, but that is exactly what I am. Thanks in advance.

LeoIrish likes this.
  2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    First of all, welcome to the forum. Not everyone here are pure cord cutters - we all have different needs. In the end, we all learn from each other.

I have a Roku 3, and most streaming devices have a setting when the device goes to sleep. I do not have the time at the moment to see if my Roku never goes to sleep, but you should be able to adjust it to some degree (somewhere in settings). If you cannot find this, let me know and I will look for it later on mine.

As to the remotes, there are various all-in-one remotes, but I personally do not have any experience with them (I just make use of the remote the device comes with). Some of the remotes (ex: Roku) usually have some quick buttons for some services (ex: Netflix / Amazon), and all have a back button to my knowledge (I have a Roku and Fire TV).