Cord Killers show/podcast

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by cobywill, Mar 9, 2014.

1. cobywill

cobywill Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2013
    East Coast, USA
    It's late but I wanted to get this out while it's fresh in my head. I posted a link to the Cord Killers show (http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGF-pEg6SdmtiGLA0QT-LXg) a few days ago and I've been listening to it pretty steady since I found out about it. The original thread is under Help & Resources.

My take on the show... I guess it's good if you enjoy watching/listening to tech news versus reading about it. But for me, I am constantly reading stories on Ars Technica, The Verge, Tech Crunch, CNET, Facebook, TWiT, etc.... so this show seems to kind of just give a review of a lot of those stories which I guess you only have a limited amount to talk about in a niche like cord cutting but it seems like I don't hear much original content. For me it's like when someone tells you a story, then tells you again, and you want them to stop the second time but they keep going.

My other issue is it seems a little hypocritical. One of the hosts, Brian... is a cord cutter but admits to only doing so because he does the show. Mike, the other hosts.. admits he still has DirecTV and it sounds like he has no plans to get rid of it. At least two of their guests I've heard also admit to being cable subscribers. So I naturally am like... WTF?

I will probably continue to listen... just because I do enjoy listening to podcasts but I know they are only 9 episodes in but I'd like to see them push the envelope a little more and less talk about what shows and movies they watched over the week.

LeoIrish and Gelsemium like this.
  2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Founding Member Founding Member

Apr 6, 2014
    LOL, so they are hosting a cord cutting show, but they are not cord cutters and their guests are not cord cutters either? :D Yeah, that's strange, maybe they are doing the show to convince themselves that it's better? :) I'm taking a look, thanks for sharing.

4. CordShifter

CordShifter Member

May 4, 2014
    I think this show is excellent. Yes, it is a little odd that the hosts of a show like this (both well respected in the tech media) are not militant cord cutters, but I think they make a lot of sense.

For many (present company included), it's not about going "off teh grid", but more about being smarter in my methods and habits. By doing their "chicken challenge it really is possible to get the cable provider/ISP to give you channels to watch on top of your internet for less $$ than internet only.

Oh... the magic of bundling.

The show itself is very solid though. I just hope they keep the content fresh.

5. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    I have subscribed to this podcast for a few months now and find it very entertaining / instructive. Not everything they talk about directly references cord-cutting, but they do more than a few reviews and discussions of different devices and services available. I definitely recommend it.