Considering cutting the cord when my Fios contract expires. Need advice.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Tested, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Tested

Tested New Member

Apr 25, 2016
    Greetings,
    I have read a lot of things on different forums about cutting the cord, so I did a brief Google search on "cord cutting forums" and found you all. Looks like a good site.

In 2006, I ditched our Comcast cable in favor of Verizon Fios. I have loved it for a decade. Super fast internet and a great selection of channels. Unfortunately, Verizon sold the Texas, California and Florida Fios services to Frontier Communications. The transfer took place April 1st.

While I have not had any major issues with Frontier, I have many neighbors who have experienced no end of trouble with the switch. The incredible lack of concern or outright abuse of customers by Frontier is stunning. A look at the comments posted to their Facebook page is downright shocking.

I have come to the conclusion that when my contract is up in February of 2017, I will likely ditch Frontier for cable and phone and cut the cord. I may have to keep Frontier for internet since I don't have a good alternative for the speed like Google Fiber or U-Verse available in my neighborhood.

The one thing I have done in the past year that has been eye-opening is adding Roku to both of our television sets. My daughters love it. My wife and I have found a lot of good things to watch on Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime.

I have a great rooftop antenna hooked up to my TV in the living room and have no trouble getting the local stations. This is a good thing since I work at one of them. :)

That does get to be one of the oddball things for me. I'd like to have access to the cable news channels, but it seems Sling only offers CNN and Fox News just isn't available on streaming.

We have a good DVR from Fios and we record a lot of shows from the broadcast networks and some from cable as well. I believe a lot of the cable shows are available on Netflix or Hulu. I'd still like to record the network shows on a DVR so I don't have to wait for them to be made available on a streaming service. This is particularly true of the CBS shows my wife watches.

So the main things I'm going to need to see if I can get some advice on are a good DVR option and a way to stream the cable news channels.

I've read about Tablo and love the idea of a 4 tuner OTA DVR. However, some people complain about the time it takes to switch between channels. It also doesn't (yet?) let you record a show you started to watch but didn't previously have set to record. Just wondering if you all have any experience with Tablo and recommend it or something else?

The cable news channels are a different issue. While most of the time I probably wouldn't need them, it would be nice to have access when there are big stories going on. That's rather vital for my job. Any suggestions?

LeoIrish likes this.
  2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    First of all, welcome to the group! Hopefully, you will not only be able to obtain your answers and suggestions here, but help others as you move forward. I know I have learned quite a bit.

We also subscribe to Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon. I find it amazing once you really look through what they have available, the amount of great content available. At least for myself, I have more on my watchlists than I will most likely ever get to.

Unlike you, we do not have very good reception for all of the broadcast channels. As such, we record via a SVR (streaming video recorder) versus a DVR. I know TiVo just released a new version of the Roamio OTA without any monthly / annual fees ($399 I think is the cost). I personally do not have any experience with either Tablo or TiVo products, but I was leaning towards the TiVo until we figured out we did not receive clear enough signals.

As to the news, you are able to watch a decent amount of the shows via their websites without logging in, but there is no good way to watch them live without a login. CBS does have a good app / site for streaming national news (http://www.cbsnews.com/live/), and I have it on our Fire TV.

Please let me know if there is anything I can assist with.

Tested likes this.
  4. Lost in Delaware

Lost in Delaware Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2016
    Weather Nation has a live news feed for breaking weather stories..it is reminiscent of what The Weather Channel used to be like.

As Leolrish said, the CBS New app is excellent. 24/7 news.

NewsOn streams local news stations when they are on live, and stores the latest one for on demand retrieval in between. I pick up Ch 6 Action News Phila in my area on it.

ABC News app is live streamed during the broadcast also

Newsy also has a 24/7 live stream

Tested likes this.
  5. Tested

Tested New Member

Apr 25, 2016
    I'd like to thank you all for your replies. I already have all the news apps you mentioned on my Roku. It appears some of my concern about the cable news channels may be solved by Sling.