CBS All Access Streaming Service

Discussion in 'Apps & Channels' started by getridofcable, Oct 16, 2014.

1. getridofcable

getridofcable Founding Member Founding Member

Dec 4, 2013
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    CBS is offering a online streaming service with full seasons, classic shows, and live broadcast of local programming in some major markets for$6 a month... more importantly they are the first major network to really acknowledge cord cutting!

http://getridofcable.net/cbs-all-access

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. aaroncampbell72

aaroncampbell72 New Member

Nov 25, 2014
    I tried it out for a week, but ended up canceling. They were only offering last season's shows in their library and not all of their shows were available. I live in the Metro-Detroit area so I pick up a clear CBS channel OTA and my Media Center PC handles the TiVo functionality. I'm sure there are customers that will find this service useful, but I wasn't one of them.

4. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2014
    I will pass on this one. You can get CBS for free. I really don't enjoy any of their shows so I don't really have any interest in paying for their services. About the only thing I like watching on CBS is my local news programming, and I'll occasionally watch 60 minutes or their news programming. That's about it though.

5. galmal

galmal Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Tennessee
    It seems to me that $6 for one station is quite expensive, when I get 200 channels on Dish for only $60. I'm all for saving money, but I don't think this is for me - especially, if like @aaroncampbell72 says, it's only last season's shows. I can probably get most of them on netflix or hulu, along with all their other programming for just $8/month.

6. Mockingbird

Mockingbird Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2015
    Yup, but this is pretty ground breaking none the less, because it is the beginning of a change from cable we will no doubt see more channels offer the option and the price go down. I never had a problem with the thought of paying for a channel ala carte, what I do not like is the thought that when I pay I am also being bombarded with commercials that also paid, it always felt like it was double dipping on the broadcasters part. Yes I understand it is expensive to run a network I get that.

I would love to see some stats on how many people do watch the free episodes that are available online. I know I do. What I don't understand is why channels like CBS don't make the web content available to anyone in the world. I read comments from people in the UK and Canada that cannot see the streams. You would think this would be a perfect opportunity to enter a world market. Tell me that wouldn't sell ads! There has to be some sort of limitation on this.

7. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 18, 2013
    I dabbled with this a bit as well, with someone else's login information they had given to me to try out and see if I liked it. I wasn't entirely impressed either. At the very least, they should offer live access to shows instead of making people wait until the following day to see the episodes. Perhaps this is due to some contractual obligations they have with the cable companies, but they need to do away with those specifics ASAP if they want to compete with them. The cable companies should not be holding the networks hostage the way they are.

It might be more of a value to someone who likes to watch old episodes of stuff, but for someone looking to cut their cable bill and only spend a few dollars a month for a few shows they like, this seems like an unnecessary expense to watch old shows or day old shows, when you could get the new shows for free already OTA.

8. digitalsatori

digitalsatori Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2015
    SW Florida
    It is a step in the right direction, yes - but the price isn't down where it should be just yet. CBS hardly has the level of service Netflix or Hulu does, so I don't think a price point that close is reasonable. Now, if they offered a live stream and instant access to content? Totally worthwhile. But it's not worth it, in my opinion, at the current iteration.

LeoIrish likes this.
  9. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    I agree the price-point of CBS ($6) versus Netflix ($9) versus Amazon ($8.25 average per month) does not seem to make sense.

10. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    I tried this out but cancelled because I did not love it.

11. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    How was the quality of the streaming?

12. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    It was alright but I am in college so the Wifi is kind of wishy-washy so I cannot fault it too much. Not bad overall though!