Cable Modem - suggestions.

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by unimpressed, Feb 5, 2014.

1. unimpressed

unimpressed Founding Member Founding Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Will be keeping Comcast as my internet provider (and local phone), but don't want to be charged the $8 modem fee. Any suggestions on good cable modems?

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. cobywill

cobywill Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2013
    East Coast, USA
    Whenever shopping for a new piece of hardware what I tend to do is go to a site like http://newegg.com or http://tigerdirect.com and do a search, then filter your results so you can see the ones that have the most reviews, or the highest ratings and go from there.

4. Crodhmac

Crodhmac Founding Member Founding Member

Jan 27, 2014
  5. unimpressed

Jan 29, 2014
    Thanks, that looks good, I was hoping for a cable/wireless router combo, but will keep this one in mind if I go for the separate devices.

6. Crodhmac

Jan 27, 2014
    From my experience, the cable/wireless router combo devices are terrible. They crash more often and if the cable modem goes out, then you lose your wireless network also. The best bet is to get a separate router along with a modem. It is more reliable and easier to trouble shoot what is going wrong.

7. WhataTV

WhataTV Founding Member Founding Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Jacksonville, FL
  8. sidd230

sidd230 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 27, 2013
  9. unimpressed

Jan 29, 2014
    I picked up the SB6141. I will finally cut the cord this week, but planning on keeping local phone. Unfortunately the SB6141 does not have a phone jack. Does anyone know a good cable modem that has the phone jack?

10. Crodhmac

Jan 27, 2014
    Look into a service like Ooma. It gives you a home phone and all you have to pay for is taxes every month. It is a VOIP system so if internet goes down, the system goes down.

11. unimpressed

Jan 29, 2014
    Right. which is why I'm still probably going to stick with wit phone via comcast. Internet may go out (rarely) but the cable/phone never have.