Building a DVR

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by gepagl, Oct 5, 2016.

1. gepagl

gepagl New Member

Oct 18, 2014
    I cut the cord a while ago and have an outside antenna that gets very good reception. I am going to be replacing an older desktop system and, since I am replacing the desktop anyway, I am looking into what I would need to add DVR functionality. I pretty much know what I need for hardware to make sure that the system can capture video but I do not know what I would need to network it with my TV to watch the captured video
    The TV is a Visio M75-C1 with 802.11ac Dual Band WiFi. The house is a two story. The antenna cable runs across the attic, through the opposite outside wall, down to where it enters the cellar and then up to a wall plate in the first floor living room. It is a total length of about 80 feet of quad-shielded copper RG6 with compression fittings. The desktop is on the the second floor in the same room as the cable modem. Here is what I need help on:

• The easiest way to connect the desktop to the antenna is to split the cable in the attic and run a leg down to the desktop. The split will happen about 25' from the antenna, the desktop leg will be about 20 feet. Will splitting the cable degrade reception? Is there a better way to do this? What should I look for in a splitter?
    • Once I can capture video how do I stream to the TV? I could run HDMI cable from the desktop to the TV but that would be a pain and expensive I have no good way to get a cable to the TV wihout running outside and following the route of the antenna cable to the TV. That is to long a run anyway for HDMI. Is it possible to wirelessly stream video to the TV? The TV has 802.11ac Dual Band WiFi. If I have to run cable what type of cable should I use fo the best video quality?
    • Aside from the hardware, what else do I need to consider?
    Thanks for any help.
    George

LeoIrish likes this.
  2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Rob Lister

Rob Lister Staff Member Community Leader

Mar 31, 2015
    There are two ways to go. 1) by a premade DVR or 2) build your own DVR.
    1) premade. There are really only 2 to choose from that are any good. a) TiVo and b) Channel master.

a) TiVo https://www.tivo.com/ is cheap to buy charges a monthly subscription that is insane, you might as well get cable and rent a dvr.
    b) Channel master http://www.channelmaster.com/DVR_Plus_p/cm-7500gb16.htm is expensive but has no subscription cost.

2) Build your own. The only real DIY DVR system out there is MythTV https://www.mythtv.org/
    Essentually you build a (not insignificant) Linux box to act as a DVR. Because it is DIY, you make all the decisions but if you are a networking/software/hardware novice, this is not the right choice.

As to how you connect it? An ethernet cable in all cases. In case 1) the product comes with good-enough instructions. In case 2) there is youtube to guide you. :)

P.S. I went with option 2). I'm still not done. And I'm not a novice.

LeoIrish likes this.
  4. clarkss12

clarkss12 New Member

Nov 1, 2016
    I have several different DYI DVR's, and now I use my smart TV to be the center point. I have been using OTA only for quite awhile, and with the savings, I purchased my smart TV. I am going to show you my video of my smart TV as the center point of my Cord Cutting adventure. I have one DVR (not shown in this video) that only uses one $30 Android stick running LivreELEC and an HDHomeRun tuner for my DVR backend.

Here is my latest update on my cord cutting.

5. djont57

djont57 New Member

Sep 10, 2014
  6. Rob Lister

Rob Lister Staff Member Community Leader

Mar 31, 2015
    PLEX is a dream machine, so long as you have the ... skillz