Bigger screen or better quality?

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by kcut, Jun 17, 2014.

1. kcut

kcut Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2014
    For those with a specific budget it may not be possible to buy a really high quality big screen television, and therefore have to make a choice of getting a big TV or one with a smaller screen but better quality image.

Which one would you prefer to put in your living room as the main TV? :unsure:

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. cobywill

cobywill Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2013
    East Coast, USA
    If I didn't have a family I would probably go for a smaller screen and better quality. But the bigger screen allows more people to enjoy it.

4. Fauxpeux

Fauxpeux Well-Known Member

May 2, 2014
    Here (I think)
    For the living room? I'd go with the bigger TV. If you want a higher quality, smaller TV you can always just put that in a bedroom or spare room. Besides, there are still plenty of older bigscreen CRT TVs out there that have excellent quality. If you're lucky you can sometimes find some with component HD.

5. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Founding Member Founding Member

Apr 6, 2014
    I think that the quality these days is fairly good regardless of the size, but even so I think quality is always a good investment. If we buy the cheapest we just might have it for a couple of years, but if we do invest if can last up to 5 times more, so I think it's wiser.

6. Livvy

Livvy Member

Apr 19, 2014
    I'd say it depends on the difference in quality, doesn't it?

I mean, if your options are a large television with poor picture quality, or a smaller television with much better picture quality, would you not be better going for the better picture quality every time? Assuming of course the poor picture quality is really bad compared to the alternative that is.

7. Sugarhill

Sugarhill Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2014
    I'd really have to know what your budget is and what you consider small. The new line of Sonys are a very good TVs, especially compared to the price.

The picture is amazing.

8. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Founding Member Founding Member

Apr 6, 2014
    Big screens these days have all a fairly decent quality, it's an investment to buy a bigger screen, but not that big one.

9. TinVanMan

TinVanMan TinVanMan

Mar 28, 2015
    Seden
    I would rather have a large TV because the quality of TVs right now is actually quite a bit beyond most of the content out there. For example, a 4K TV, which I have in a 55-inch version, is useless as far as 4K options. There is very little that I can watch that wouldn't be just as good on a lower quality model. Maybe in 5 or 10 years I would have a use for the higher definition, but not now.

10. vntomboy

vntomboy Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2015
    Better quality, no doubt. Yes the bigger TV seems cool to have in your living room, but I assure you, the novelty wears off quickly. A good TV with a high resolution is AWESOME to watch shows on, especially if you're binge watching ;-)

Big Dan likes this.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    The market is pretty competitive these days, and while I find the rule still applies that you get what you pay for, the quality oven of the so called 'budget' big TV's is still pretty decent. Decent enough for most anyway.

A lot also depends on what your watching and what your input is like, you can buy the biggest most expensive TV around but if your watching a VHS video on it, it will look poor.

12. jamiew23

jamiew23 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2015
    If only we could have both! I'd have to say quality! Seeing pixels just annoys the hell out of me, when I watch TV I want it to look as real as possible with the best sound backing up what I'm seeing on screen :)

13. ImariFutari

ImariFutari Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Interesting question!

I wouldn't buy a television at all. Currently, the television in my livingroom is for decoration, as it never gets turned on. The only one that ever gets used for watching programs or anything at all is the one in my moms' room (she's really into reality tv, it seems).

But if I had to choose, I would go for a bigger screen with worse quality. I feel as though a small t.v would give the living-room an unbalanced feel. I don't know what it is, but imagining it just feels awkward. I would want everyone to be able to watch if I were to have people over - rather than have people squinting at a tiny t.v screen from across the room.

14. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2015
    To me, the TV screen size depends on your room size also. For Christmas, my son gave me a gigantic one but it looks so odd and out of place in my living room that he had to take it back.

I prefer some thing decent with high quality images. Ours right now is about 30 inches but when we play a certain movie on it, it shows such poor quality that we had to just switch to something else to watch!

15. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Staff Member Community Manager

Oct 23, 2012
    I prefer a bigger TV that dominates the room myself but my wife agrees with most of you here. So we went from a 65" 1080p TV (moved it down to my mancave ;)) to a 55" 4K Ultra HD in our family room and everyone is happy now.

16. JPB_003

JPB_003 Active Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Better quality for me. If it is already HD, and the quality will only be slightly better, than go for size. I say quality > size because you can move your tv closer, but you can't get more pixels. It is stunning when you see something in 4k.

17. Big Dan

Big Dan What cord? Founding Member

Apr 8, 2014
    New York
    Do you watch more in the man cave or living room?

18. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2015
    Well, 1080p is really HD enough for me. I can't justify getting a 4k TV right now since not a lot of movies/shows etc. make use of the 4k video recording.
    I'd probably buy a 4k TV in a year or two, but right now size matters more to me but it has to be 1080p

19. galmal

galmal Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Tennessee
    I have to agree, you have to take into account the size of the room. If your living room is on the small size, you'll be sitting so much closer to the TV. In that case, you really want quality over size. But in a larger room, where you're sitting further away, the quality isn't so much of an issue.

When you go to the store to look at TVs, remember to stand the same distance away as if it were in your living room.

IcyBC likes this.
  20. Mockingbird

Mockingbird Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2015
    I actually watch on a small screen, even when I can make the image larger I tend to keep it in the smaller size. I do agree that the clarity and sharpness of the picture makes a difference, I like HD but it does not have to be huge to enjoy it. In fact I find if the screen is to big it can be distracting.

With that being said, I come from the era of the old black and white TV, so watching stuff back then was far from clear. We had snow, we had vertical flipping and all sorts of interference. When cable scramblers started we would watch shows in between the scramble if it was something we really wanted to see. You used to get full audio back then. So yea, not much bothers me about watching TV. My pet peeve is the remote controls, what sort of torture is that? I like it simple, on/off channel and volume. No need for all the other gizmos.

21. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2015
    This is something I didn't think about and it is such a great advice. I will have to remember this when buying a new television :) Not any time soon, but I am saving up for one for my bedroom!