best Superhero/fantasy series?

Discussion in 'What To Watch' started by UnslaadKrosis, Feb 9, 2016.

1. UnslaadKrosis

UnslaadKrosis Jobless Dragon Priest.

Jan 31, 2016
    Tamriel (Well mostly)
    What are, according to you, the best superhero/fantasy (like Daredevil that fits the superhero genre while Grimm is a fantasy series) TV series? And where can one watch them? Share your thoughts!

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2016
    For me, the best superhero series would be Daredevil! I did loved the Daredevil movie but this series is way more exciting than that one. It is dark, gritty and thrilling. The acting is quite excellent as well as the script. They actually complement one another. It leaves you hanging in your seat and at times wondering if Daredevil will die. Which is of course, impossible with a superhero movie, lol!

I can't vouch for any fantasy series since I don't watch any.:(

UnslaadKrosis likes this.
  4. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    I think some of the stuff SyFy has been putting out (I know - more scifi than fantasy) has been pretty good. They have seemed to hit their stride in understanding what their fans want (again).

I caught a few episodes of The Shannara Chronicles on MTV, and they have done an excellent job with the series. I will look forward to watching the rest of it after it goes to DVD.

I think Netflix has been on a roll with Marvel for the Daredevil & Jessica Jones series - I can only hope they continue the trend with Luke Cage and Iron Fist.

I have watched the first few episodes of Supergirl, and I think it is a 7 out of 10 rating. Granted, a few people told me that is when it really starts to get good. I have the rest of the episodes recorded, so I will watch them when I get to it.

Just staying in comics overall, CW has been doing great with its shows. One which does not get mentioned a bunch is iZombie. I have not started season 2, but season 1 was really good.

My oldest daughter and I have been watching Shadowhunters - and it is much better than that horrible movie. She has read all the books, so she is more opinionated than I am, but it has been pretty good the first couple of episodes.

5. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    As far as superhero shows go, I'm all for Daredevil and Jessica Jones. They're kind of tied - Daredevil has more of the action and heroics, while Jessica Jones has some more interesting characters, and (as far as I'm concerned) the better villain. Both are on Netflix, and both are worth watching.

As for fantasy... well, the closest to a contemporary fantasy show I've watched is Game of Thrones, I suppose. You'll have to go to HBO for that. Definitely not a show for everyone.

6. UnslaadKrosis

Jan 31, 2016
    Tamriel (Well mostly)
    But, isn't GoT kinda overrated? I know a lot of people who would gladly lay down their lives to defend the honor of this series, but as I watch it, I kinda find a particular pattern to the whole show. It goes like this, A wild Character appears! The Wild Character goes through some tough choices and accomplishes something and levels up to become the MC! The MC gets betrayed by the ones close to him/her! The MC dies! Rinse and repeat.

As I slogged through the episodes, I felt that, except maybe the names and locations, all of the characters are a lot like each other, especially in the actions and death departments. The only characters I found pretty interesting are Tyrion and Littlefinger. Even Jon Snow, the crowd favourite looked like he was trying too hard to not make idiotic choices, but making those choices anyway in the end. What's up with that?

7. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    For starters, I hate when people ask if something's overrated. It's such an opinionated question. You might as well just say 'I don't like this show' and get it over with. Just putting that out there.

And yes, it's a bit formulaic. That's bound to happen in such an enormous story, and it's more obvious in the show where the plot focuses on the more important aspects. The books are more expansive in scope so it always seemed to me like less of an issue.

As for Jon Snow, the guy's 14 by the original plot, though I think he's aged up in the show. Think about it in that context and he's bound to make a lot of stupid decisions. He doesn't have a lot of experience.

8. UnslaadKrosis

Jan 31, 2016
    Tamriel (Well mostly)
    Well, I'm really sorry if I offended you. It was not my intention. I personally think that 'overrated' is the best way to summarise the phrase 'good, but not as great as everyone makes it out to be.' without sounding like a jerk.
    And saying 'i don't like this show' would be an overstatement because I do think that the show is good, but not that great. That's why I used the term 'overrated'.

And yeah, when Jon is looked at from the books perspective it does make some sense, (except then all the other mature stuff he did over the course of his lifetime just goes out of the window. I mean, a 14 y.o doing all that heroic stuff and then get assassinated? Are you kidding me? You ignore 14 y.o, not follow them to your deaths. Sheesh.) but seeing how the show took some liberties, it could easily add some semblance of a reason for his actions, not just 'Oh this buttons says don't touch, why don't I try pressing it!' stuff.

9. Haruka

Haruka Founding Member Founding Member

Dec 3, 2013
    I've recently started watching Leftovers which is a fantasy story where a lot of people disappeared suddenly like a rapture but not everyone who left was good so people left behind are left to struggle with the mystery. The acting is a little bad especially at the start and it moves a bit too slow even for my taste but it's got a good story at least and it keeps you engaged.