Best speed on copper

Discussion in 'ISP Forums' started by kcut, Apr 19, 2014.

1. kcut

kcut Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2014
    When I was renting a flat a few years ago the block was kitted out with copper cabling so we were limited in how fast our internet was. For me is was around 5Mb but with copper the speed depends on may factors such as:

• Distance between you and the exchange
    • Route between you and the exchange (direct or indirect)
    • Quality of the copper wiring
    • How many other people in your area are using it

What is the highest speed you get (for those using a copper based internet connection)?

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. sidd230

sidd230 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 27, 2013
    That is why i ditched copper lines.

I've used FiOS for 6 years so far (well, 2 in my own place, 6 in the businesses/houses of my customers). It is the most reliable service I've ever used.
    No saturated nodes because the system is designed for heavy expansion. you don't have to worry about outages and shitty speeds due to rain water getting in the line somewhere.

4. Maarten

Maarten Member

Jun 7, 2014
    My cable internet line is copper, and using DOCSIS 3.0 technology, and I get 100 Mbps down, 5 Mbps up. I should soon be upgraded to 300 Mbps down, 20 up.

Fiber is not available here, but of course DOCSIS 3.0 is "fiber to the hood", and does not have distance limitations.

5. jsonman77

jsonman77 New Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Actually Fiber works Great but it's not what they claim, copper works great also if you have the power correct to carry the data stream. which is something CHARTER still don't understand to this day...Fibers were extremely over Rated when they first came out just as everything is...both are very good conductors of electrical current and fiber takes less current to move same data amounts( and further)that's really the only difference if everything else is compared on a equal basis, both will work and suprisingly similar. but then again most people don't understand how data is moved along cables.