AT&T is starting to cap Uverse. Are you affected?

Discussion in 'ISP Forums' started by njmurvin, May 27, 2016.

1. njmurvin

njmurvin Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2016
    With 6 days left in my billing cycle, I am at about 265GB out of an allowed 600GB. So, I expect to be OK. Heavy users may be in trouble. What are you going to do? Pony up $30/mo additional for unlimited broadband? Switch to cable internet? My area has Time Warner Cable and they don't have caps yet. If I reach the limit, I would have to look there (for internet only).

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. DustnBones001

DustnBones001 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2016
    When the caps went into affect Monday I saw that I clearly go over the cap by a lot so I had no choice but to add the extra $30 for unlimited. I shutter to think what my overage charges would've been if they had been enforcing the previous 250 GB cap. I really hope this backfires on At&t. There is no reason for caps its an clear attack at cord cutters to try and force them back into cable/satellite.

4. njmurvin

Feb 26, 2016
    Over the cap by a lot?? Do you have the 600GB cap? I thought I watched a lot of TV and I'm only going to be about 1/2 the cap. How much streaming do you do? Or, do you have a lot of internet usage that isn't related to streaming?

Clearly, it's an attack on cord cutters. They include unlimited BW to all customers of DTV or Uverse TV.

5. DustnBones001

May 11, 2016
    Yes my cap was 600 GB and I was going over it quite a bit. I stream a lot since I have cut the cord I have subscriptions to Sling TV, Netflix, Hulu which use up a lot of data. I also use the internet to browse. Since I have replaced my entertainment with streaming I use it a lot and judging by my usage I would be going way over every month. Heck I have just used 492 GB in a week that is with mainly streaming in SD and with just two people me and my dad. We both have Roku TVs that we mainly use to stream as well as our laptops.

And by far its an attack on cord cutters judging by the fact when I went to add the unlimited they kept trying to force me into a tv package. I had to call in to get the unlimited and I pretty much had to force the representative to add it. They are really hoping with these data caps to scare people back into cable/satellite packages and I hope it backfires on them.

If you stream more than 2 hours a day these caps will affect you fast especially if its in HD. You shouldn't have to watch your data like a hawk it causes unnecessary stress and sure to cause fights in households since many people watch their own things which I can imagine a family of four eats up a lot of data.

6. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    Ever since cutting the cord, we have been around 700GB, and we went over 800GB last month. I knew we did not have cap issues going into this (we have TWC). If we did not record all our broadcast shows via the internet, and have 5-people streaming stuff (including movies), I presume our volume would be lower.

7. DustnBones001

May 11, 2016
    That's around how much I use a month as well though there have been months where I was close to 1TB. Streaming video uses a lot of data and with some people now streaming in 4k these caps are going to impose even more problems. I was talking to someone on Facebook who said he returned his 4k Roku TV because he used up his 1TB cap in one week with streaming in 4k.

These caps are just ridiculous no one should have to watch their data like a hawk. I do appreciate tho at&t having a unlimited option and not forcing to only have service with caps.

8. LeoIrish

Mar 28, 2015
    I just wish there were more options. We really only have AT&T and TWC to choose from in our area (couple of other choices - if you live in the right area or city).

9. njmurvin

Feb 26, 2016
    I saw something today on Yahoo news that AT&T is raising the cap from 600GB to 1TB. I haven't been notified yet. This doesn't matter so much to me as I have been comfortably under the 600GB cap. But for others with multiple users, this should be good news. And, I like the trend ... going up instead of down. Of course, 4K will blow all of this out of the water.

10. LeoIrish

Mar 28, 2015
    I read this recently as well - and it is good for consumers. Even with our heavy usage since cutting the cord (as we record via the internet), we are usually in the 600-700GB range normally.

11. DustnBones001

May 11, 2016
    Yes I got an email from At&t confirming they are increasing the caps to 1TB on 8/31. Which is good I'm glad At&t is realizing more ppl stream content now more than ever but still I would prefer if they drop caps entirely. I also don't like that they will be kicking off my unlimited add on 8/31. I rarely use close to a 1TB but just like having that peace of mind with unlimited. Especially since I will be getting PS Vue soon which uses a lot of data.

12. njmurvin

Feb 26, 2016
    Ahhh. So THAT was the catch. I didn't realize they were taking away the unlimited add-on. Makes sense now. Give everyone a little bump for nothing (from 600GB to 1TB) and take away the option for unlimited. Is this correct? What about the folks that subscribe to Directv or Uverse TV. Do they still get unlimited internet?

13. DustnBones001

May 11, 2016
    No you still can get unlimited with Directv or Uverse Tv as well as adding it separately for $30 but for some reason in the email they sent me they will be removing my unlimited add on 8/31 which means I will have to call in again to add it. I don't get why they are taking it off my account. Even if they assume 1TB is enough for me(granted it will work for most people) they should've left it alone.

14. njmurvin

Feb 26, 2016
    Thanks for clarifying. Even though I don't need it now, it's nice to know it will still be available. I notice that their bill has been creeping up (now at $69) for 18mbps Uverse internet only. They must have transferred some of their Directv people into their ISP department.

15. DustnBones001

May 11, 2016
    I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Lol they sure love to try and sell me DirecTV everytime I call in about something. But yeah I'm glad the unlimited add on is still a option. 1TB should be just fine for most ppl unless you do a lot of 4k streaming.