AT&T DirecTV Now

Discussion in 'Other' started by njmurvin, Nov 30, 2016.

1. njmurvin

njmurvin Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2016
    I think we need a section for this as I feel it's going to be the 600lb Gorilla in the streaming market. I signed up today for 3 months. I get a new 4th gen Apple TV (already own one) for free by prepaying 3 months. I added the HBO option for $5/mo (currently paying $15). I plan to cancel SlingTV and HBO ($-35) to offset the new cost ($40). When/if DirecTV Now adds Cloud DVR, I will cancel Hulu and be ahead of the game with way more channels than I had before.

LeoIrish likes this.
  2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    I would agree on needing a section for this as well. Also, would love for you to post your notes regarding your comparison between DirecTV Now v SlingTV and Vue (if you used it).

4. njmurvin

Feb 26, 2016
    I haven't played much with DTV Now as yet. I can tell you the start up time (from app launch until you're viewing content) is amazingly quick - unlike Sling which seems to take forever to get going. I browsed through some live channels and they are quite clear. I haven't watched for any length of time yet. I've read complaints about audio sync but haven't watched long enough to notice. One thing not well publicized is that IF you are fortunate to live in an area to get live feeds for ABC, NBC and FOX, you still can't stream NBC live when using a streaming device (Apple TV, Fire, etc). NBC only allows live streams if you use a browser (not sure about a mobile phone or iPad). The VOD library is pretty sparse. Hoping that will change as it matures. You have only a few weeks to lock in the $35/mo price for 100 channels for life (as long as you don't cancel). After that it will be $60 for that package or $35 for 60 channels.. Also, there's a limit of 2 streams per account. I realize that will be an issue for many families. Cloud DVR is projected to arrive next year but not stated when. This has the potential of being a game changer (at least for me). I hope AT&T doesn't blow it by raising prices quickly or start nickel-and-diming us to death with add-ons. Time will tell. Competition coming from Hulu and others might help to quell some of that.

5. njmurvin

Feb 26, 2016
    I just read an article that stated the NBC live streaming issue is a technical one and will be resolved in coming weeks.

6. njmurvin

Feb 26, 2016
    So far, I have used Apple TV (4th gen), Amazon Fire Stick (1st gen) and Amazon Fire TV (latest gen). By far, the Apple TV works the best with Directv Now. The Fire stick is really slow and the Fire TV has sound sync issues and just doesn't feel as snappy when changing channels, etc. Hopefully, these will be worked out. I just received my 2nd Apple TV as part of their promo (3 mo prepay). There are still issues but it keeps improving. Time will tell. Can't wait for a DVR function (either direct or from some 3rd party). Watching channels live is beyond painful.

7. LeoIrish

Mar 28, 2015
    Thank you for the update. Although we are not subscribing (not needed for now), I am sure others on the forum would love to hear more regarding this.

8. Vaughn

Vaughn New Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Direct TV now has been receiving some terrible press, and apparently deservedly so. SEE: http://time.com/4588834/directv-now-review-cord-cutting-cable/ and http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/13/14257936/directv-now-errors-complaints-att

Still, if they can get their act together, this is the service I've been looking for.

So I took a bit of a chance and subscribed the day before their initial low-price offer expired. I paid for three months service to receive a "free" Apple TV. If I cancel after those three months, I'm not out much because I can use the Apple TV. But if they get their act together well enough that my wife will allow me to cancel out Dish Network, then I win big!

So my Apple TV arrived in less than a week. Setup was pretty simple. After setup, I was greeted by the entire Direct TV system apparently being down! The interface app worked, but no videos would load. That evening the system was working, with nice pretty pictures. So that's not a great start! Anyhow, I remain hopeful because AT&T can't afford to let this be a debacle. But we shall see.

LeoIrish likes this.
  9. LeoIrish

Mar 28, 2015
    I hope they do get it together - and I hope the Hulu and YouTube offerings are good as well. The more competition we have, the better off we are as consumers.

10. Vaughn

Vaughn New Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Just to add... On my Direct TV Now feed I have so far found no local channels, not from my area or anywhere else. Perhaps I don't know how to find them? I had already decided to clean up my act with a new off-air antenna, but this will be a major issue with my wife because changing channels will involve multiple button pushes on two different remotes. (Local channels are something that our present TV provider, Dish Network, handles seamlessly.)

11. njmurvin

Feb 26, 2016
    Only certain areas receive live-streamed networks and, in reality, for those who do receive them there are only 2 - ABC and Fox that will be received by your Apple TV or Fire devices. NBC is provided only on non-streaming devices (tablet, phone, computer browser). I had originally heard that this was a technical glitch that was going to be resolved but now I'm not convinced. CBS hasn't reached an agreement yet with AT&T so that may or may not materialize. In the meantime, I have CBS OTA and I am subscribing to their All Access package to get the on demand stuff.

LeoIrish likes this.