Apple TV vs Competitors

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by AresBlade, Sep 17, 2014.

1. AresBlade

AresBlade Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2014
    Anyone here use the Apple TV? I had an Apple TV 3 and it didn't do much more than collect dust. I eventually replaced it with a simple Chromecast and I haven't regretted it for a second.

I feel like there might have been something I was missing, but compared to the alternatives, especially those media players that allow you to use XBMC, Apple TV just doesn't have anything to offer.

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. AmandaK

AmandaK Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2014
    I'm sure this is a better question for google, but I'd rather get the perspective of a real person. What does Apple TV do exactly? Can you watch local tv stations through it? About how much do they run?

4. AresBlade

Sep 15, 2014
    An Apple TV is just a media box that you plug into your regular TV. Apple TV's cost approximately $100, and what they do is basically the same features of any Smart TV. They run netflix, stream movies, movies, etc, but only from iTunes. You can not watch your local television stations through it. There are other apps and things that you can subscribe to (mlb.tv, nhl gamecentre, youtube, etc). It is essentially Apple's version of a Roku box for example. Very proprietary and not a lot there. I had one and hated that all of your videos had to be in specific formats and through the super bloated iTunes.

5. AmandaK

AmandaK Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2014
    I'm really happy with our Roku. We use it for everything. We also bought a digital antenna that sticks in the window for about $30. It only gets five channels, but it's good for local news and sports.

6. AresBlade

Sep 15, 2014
    Yeah if you've already got a Roku there's really nothing about the Apple TV that I would recommend for you at all. It's more about design and aesthetics than it is about actually content and quality. I understand it's got more variety for Americans than what I got with mine up here in Canada, but I was happy to be able to get most of my money back on resale.

7. mairj23

mairj23 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2015
    All of these services are great for people on a budget but I don't see any big differences. You get some free aps or channels but the good stuff requires a subscription. All in all, you might as well get some cheap cable or the cheapest package with a satellite dish. The services should give you more of the popular channels, with that they would make more money.

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Millinocket, Maine
    I'd be interested in knowing from someone who is using Apple TV about what it has to offer. I have used a Roku for a long time, and I don't think that I'd be interested in replacing my Roku; but I might want to add Apple TV, that is if could offer me something more. I use a Mac, so I am interested in Apple products. I see that it offers Netflix and Hulu Plus, which are the main channels that I use on my Roku. Of course, I already have them. Does Apple TV offer anything not available through the Roku? Does it offer any other advantages that might make it better than a Roku? It looks like Apple TV offers a lot less than Roku but, of course, a large percentage of the channels available on Ruku aren't worth having. If you have an Apple TV, or tried one, what do you think about it? Is there anything that would make you switch from Roku to Apple TV?

9. digitalsatori

digitalsatori Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2015
    SW Florida
    The AppleTV was the biggest mistake I've made on my streaming journey. I loath it. Absolutely loathe it.

The interface is amazing and easy to use. The AirPlay feature is absolutely fantastic - as long as you use another Apple product.

Unfortunately, those are the only redeeming features of this device. You are locked in to their channels, only. Done. There is no adding channels, no streaming content from your computer outside of iTunes, if Apple doesn't bless it, it ain't happening. I bought it hoping I could connect it to PlayOn or Serviio or TVersity. Nope, denied. Because you don't own a damn thing when you buy an Apple device.

My hate for Apple runs deep. :fubar:

Big Dan likes this.
  10. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Active Member

Mar 8, 2015
    I think it's not worth getting an Apple TV, unless your relatives keep buying you iTunes gift cards which you don't want to sell/spend on apps or music. I only use iTunes for TV when they release free episodes of certain shows. I last used iTunes on the premiere of Better Call Saul, when they gave the pilot away for free.

11. Jory

Jory Founding Member Founding Member

Apr 8, 2014
    We are hoping for a new apple tv tomorrow at the conference. I am sure that will up the ante!

12. Dandapatra

Dandapatra Member

Mar 8, 2015
    I bought a smart TV and a chromecast for our other TV. Can't say I've regretted either. The smart TV is very nice because you don't need to switch sources, you just hit the 'Smart Hub' button on your remote and bam! You're there. The chromescast works better but it does take some more work to get to and boot up.

13. ColeNic

ColeNic Member

Mar 27, 2015
    I actually admire the quality of Apple products but this is a tad bit out of hand. It's a lot more expensive and it has not much to offer unlike the other services other competitors can.

14. derrek

derrek Member

Mar 31, 2015
    What I didn't like about Apple TV is that it required you to pay the iTunes price for the films. I 'rented' 3 films in one evening for the same cost as my monthly Netflix subscription. These 3 films were probably available on Netflix. Literally cut the cord.