Apple Broadcast TV to launch in Fall

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by olandir, Mar 18, 2015.

1. olandir

olandir Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    Not that I'm a fan of Apple... at all... but I found this article to be pretty intriguing

Apple is going to join forces with ABC (Disney /ESPN)/CBS/Fox and NOT NBC (because they had a little fight earlier) to create their own streaming service which is supposedly supposed to be debuting in the fall and supposedly have 25 live channels... and supposedly cost between $30-$40

It will be available only to the Apple users though, AppleTV, iPad, iPhone etc... which is Apple's thing and I don't blame them, they want people in their ecosystem and their ecosystem only and you're excluded if you're not.

Also it seems that Apple is more focused on streaming to devices NOT hooked to TVs (phone and ipad) than actually streaming to TV (via their AppleTV). AppleTV i know is not only outdated but not really popular. But I guess they're trying to bring people back to it. First with the HBONow deal, now this.

I don't understand the concept of watching live TV on a tablet (or a phone) but just because I don't understand it, doesn't mean it's not something that's trending. There is still no word on an AppleTV update any time soon either, and I just could never see buying one just because it offers so much less than a Roku or even a FireTV. But they've reduced the price to make it more tantalizing for first time buyers and cordcutters. I'm sure some people will go for it. Despite being old, it's still a solid device as far as I know.

Here's the article from Wall Street Journal, also check out the comparison below.
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/apple-in-talks-to-launch-online-tv-service-1426555611

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. galmal

galmal Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Tennessee
    I don't understand the appeal. You only get 25 channels or so and it costs $30-40? That's over $1 a channel. My Dish programming is only $50 and I have between 150-200 channels. Granted I don't watch near that many, but they are available if I want to watch them. Why would you go with Apple TV when you're only saving $10 a month but getting 10x less programming? Am I missing something?

4. alg35536

alg35536 Member

Apr 4, 2015
    We have a total of 4 tvs in our house. All of them have a box which means I'm paying around $35.00 a month just on boxes. That's not including the dvr that's in the package.

Right now everything is bundled, cable, phone and Internet. We all have cells so we don't need the phone. I also don't watch anywhere near the supposed 200 channels that are on my bundle. I watch maybe 20 if I'm lucky. Internet I would have anyways.
    By dropping the cable and phone I will be saving well over $130.00 a month. Last year at this time I was at Direct tv, I was paying them over $200.00 plus Internet from Time Warner.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing what they have. The local channels I will be able to get over the air. I'm hoping that they get Discovery, AMC, TLC etc. if it has the channels that I watch I may get it. I only hope that you can use it to watch on more than one tv at a time. You can't do that on Sling. On Demand would be great as well.