Anxious To Hear About Roku

Discussion in 'Roku' started by Farrah, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Farrah

Farrah Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 2, 2012
    OK, come on I have been dying to hear about this Roku Media Player. I saw it on QVC, and I know they can make anything look so attractive and easy to use. I just want to hear from a actual user, and if its worth it or not. I am wondering if its really free except for the internet part. Like do you have to pay for the extra channels and so on. So, if you have one, please speak up.... :)

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Staff Member Community Manager

Oct 23, 2012
    Got one, and yes it truly is free. There is some paid content but you can fully enjoy it without spending a dime. Go to the Roku website and you can see all the channels.

4. Farrah

Farrah Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Ahhh finally this is what I am looking for. The other thing I am wondering is, if you were able to cancel cable altogether? Can you also get the local channels with the ROKU?

5. lovemwaf

lovemwaf Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 21, 2013
    If you have to pay for some content, would you say that this is really cord cutting, or substitution for something a bit cheaper. My definition of cord cutting has a lot to do with no money involved in the picture.

6. FloraFauna

FloraFauna Founding Member Founding Member

Dec 12, 2013
    I mean, you can choose to pay for some content, but there's plenty of free channels for it to be well worth it. At least, that's what I've been told by friends who have the Roku. I have yet to take that plunge myself.

7. sidd230

sidd230 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Roku + Netflix is pure bliss. The free channels are definitely a advantage over other streaming boxes. And moreover, its just a 100$. Not that bigof a investment.

8. pandandesign

pandandesign Founding Member Founding Member

Jan 9, 2014
    There was a customer as my workplace who actually talked about Roku. At first, I didn't know what he was talking about because I thought it was a character or something. I have found out Roku was actually a streaming media player that offers a lot of movies and channels to watch for free, well, as long as there's wifi or ethernet. I think it's going to be a good idea because that way I don't have to pay too much for the satellite TV, which is quite expensive.

9. BlessedBlogger

BlessedBlogger Founding Member Founding Member

Feb 8, 2014
    We used to use one of our computers as a media center but when we got a Roku that really simplified things. We canceled cable and stuck with Hulu Plus and Netflix with streaming only. I like seeing new movies but I just don't have the time so I just wait for it to show up on Netflix streaming. So, Hulu and Netflix are $16 a month together and that's all we pay. After the initial Roku purchase everything was free. There are some pay channels you can access through the Roku but I've never felt I needed any of them and there are tons of free channels. It's been so much easier to deal with than having having cable. I can watch what I want when I want and I don't have to sit through hundreds of commercials or pay for channels I'll never watch. If you can, try to get a Roku 3. It's faster and it has some features that are really useful in our household like a headset jack in the controller so I can watch TV when my husband falls asleep and the ability to stream YouTube videos.

10. SharkyJones

SharkyJones Founding Member Founding Member

Feb 27, 2014
    If your undecided, just buy the $50 roku and try it out for yourself, $50 isn't a huge investment you can always buy the Roku 3 later, thats what I did to test the waters to see if it really did all the things advertised, of course I bought a Roku 3 so now I have two hooked up and will never, ever buy into cable or satellite again, total cost a month, maybe $15 along with a decent antenna I can pretty much watch anything I want, when I want. Been that way for 2 years and have loved not having to pay an outragous cable bill every month.

11. cobywill

cobywill Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2013
    East Coast, USA
    I'm biased because I'm the owner of 2 Roku's... but when I see a lot of other set top boxes being released... the thing with Roku is they are a few years ahead of the game and as far as I've seen nothing out right now can touch the ease of use of the Roku 3 interface. As far as I'm concerned any set top box needs to support a wide variety of channels and if it doesn't have Netflix, Amazon, and as obnoxious as their commercials are... Hulu.... they can't stay competitive. That's what turned me off to Apple TV. No Amazon Prime. ChannelMaster has released their DVR plus which had me a little excited until I saw the only streaming service they had available was VUDU.

12. Big Dan

Big Dan What cord? Founding Member

Apr 8, 2014
    New York
    I've had the high end model of all three generations. My first XD|S went to my neighbor when I got the Roku 2 XS. Now that I have the Roku 3, my Roku 2 also went to the neighbor man.

I don't have much experience with streaming boxes. All I've had is second gen Apple TV (which is crap) and the host of Roku boxes. Roku spoiled me out of the gate. I see no reason to try another brand when every Roku I've owned has worked so well.

One of my favorite features isn't online at all. Watching movies from my thumb drive is pretty cool. I've ripped my small collection of DVDs to MP4 and buried the discs in my closet. It's pretty cool that you can just throw a movie on a thumb drive and watch it no muss no fuss. Before getting the Roku I'd burn them to a temp DVD but that wasted quite a few DVD-Rs.

Where does Roku go from here? I don't see myself buying another Roku just for a processor bump (as was with Roku 3 - with the exception of headphones). What features can be added to make me want to upgrade to the Roku 4?

13. cobywill

Dec 14, 2013
    East Coast, USA
    I think the biggest bump with the Roku 3 was the cross-app search for movies and TV. I use the feature all the time it's nice instead of heading over to the laptop to use http://canistream.it

I think they'll focus more on getting the Roku TV's into peoples houses.

14. scmami

scmami New Member

Apr 18, 2014
    I'm glad I found this info about Roku! Hubby and I are thinking of getting rid of cable. We just dropped satellite only to pick cable up for the discount on our internet bill. We got roped into that one! The Roku is what my business partner has. She was explaining to me how many channels she could get. I was fascinated! Honestly, I watch Netflix about 90% of the time. My kids will watch whatever I tell them they can watch. The only thing I will miss is live sports...is that something I can get with Roku, or should we just head out to a bar during football season?

15. cobywill

Dec 14, 2013
    East Coast, USA
    scmami likes this.
  16. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Staff Member Community Manager

Oct 23, 2012
    It also depends on what sports you're trying to watch.

You can get local sports via an over the air antenna and if you're a single sport person, like for example, if you only watch baseball, you can just check out MLB.tv

So what kind of sports are you looking to watch live?

17. scmami

scmami New Member

Apr 18, 2014
    Thanks for the replies! We watch football. College and NFL. I see the SEC and the ACC have a channel, so that will cover the games we'd want to see the most. And if necessary, we could do NFL mobile. This is looking better and better....

18. sidd230

sidd230 Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Live sports is de\finitely something you miss when drop cable. You can get some less cough cough legal streams though. They are not the highest quality but are decent.

19. junebug

junebug Founding Member Founding Member

Dec 26, 2013
    I'm not very familiar with Roku, but getting more interested by reading this thread. Is there something like a DVR with Roku? Or with any of the other devices?

Make money by posting online
    http://www.postloop.com/invite/yambfas

20. CordShifter

CordShifter Member

May 4, 2014
    Having owned nearly all of the set top box choices out there, Roku has definitely earned its way to the top spot in my house.

It really gives a great experience. My biggest gripe with it is really more a personality flaw on my end. I always load it up with too many channels, many of which are merely crapware. It's the ability to install this crap that sets the Roku apart though!

My favorite part of the Roku 3 is the headphone jack on the remote. Killer feature!!

21. jsonman77

jsonman77 New Member

Aug 22, 2014
    I've had a ROKU for 4 years now took my time getting rid of DISH, have been totally cord cut for over 2 years, added outside homade tv antennas and reception is OUTSTANDING .....Roku's earlier models are pretty slow the 2XS and 3 are great both of them are hooked up via Cat5e lines...Wireless in general is still a generation or 2 away from being as half good as it's makers advertise (I've worked in this feild for decades) Solid Wiring is the still best. I have a total of 4 roku's in the house, and bought them for relatives, of which only the daughter still has centurylink but she works for them.....Roku is GREAT...I'm not nearly as impressed with with some of the others ....My fear is COMCAST and CHARTER are going to change everything so much you won't be able to afford the internet either.....some talk Net Neutrality was the answer, couldn't be further from the truth...It was a Trojan Horse...anytime the Government makes a new law it's gonna hurt the consumer as always...Comcast=EVIL and Charter= Evils partner