Android Solutions Media Player Questions

Discussion in 'Media Players' started by tdosha, Dec 20, 2014.

1. tdosha

tdosha Member

Dec 20, 2014
    I recently ran across an ad for Android Solutions Quad core MX6 media player. It promises unlimited access to a ton of channels. It sells for $180 and no monthly fees. I admit I'm very skeptical and am looking for any reviews/input on these or android boxes in general. My experience is in Roku's and Plex on my HTPC.

Thanks for in input.

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. thecaribbeancanuck

thecaribbeancanuck Member

Dec 14, 2014
    If I had to take a wild guess I bet the machine advertises this feature based on accessing IP TV services through XBMC. When they work it is awsome, when they don't it is painful. 180 is a lot of money to pay for one of those boxes. There are less expensive solutions.

4. tdosha

tdosha Member

Dec 20, 2014
    That appears to be what it is. My guess is the up charge is for the programming that has been done. Any other suggestions for a fully programmed box?

5. tdosha

tdosha Member

Dec 20, 2014
    Anymore thoughts?

6. sweller

sweller New Member

Dec 30, 2014
    Hi. New here, too.

I've been through several Roku boxes, several Android boxes, a Raspberry Pi, and a couple of HTPCs, And I just got an Amazon Fire TV (box not stick). All worked (more or less) for their intended purpose, but IMHO the performance of the Fire TV is stellar. It's still a walled garden like a Roku or an Apple TV, but if you're lucky and a bit skilled, you can root it and install custom firmware.

Good luck!

7. tdosha

tdosha Member

Dec 20, 2014
    Thanks, I'll look into that.

8. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Staff Member Community Manager

Oct 23, 2012
    What kind of functionality does rooting it give you beyond the ability to install cus to firmware? What does the custom firmware give you?

9. sweller

sweller New Member

Dec 30, 2014
    The first thing would be a more familiar Android launcher. The stock launcher won't natively show side-loaded apps, and to me it just looks cluttered.

The second thing is the ability to load apps directly from Google Play - without the need to side-load.