Americans favor Game Consoles for streaming

Discussion in 'Gaming Consoles' started by AresBlade, Sep 28, 2014.

1. AresBlade

AresBlade Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2014
    I suppose this shouldn't come as a huge shocker, but this new study shows that more Americans use their gaming consoles for streaming media than any other device. Is that true for you? I have two PS3s simply because I wanted a media console at two different TVs, I only really game on the one in my "man cave".

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/09/27/report-america-favors-gaming-consoles-for-media-streaming/

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Founding Member Founding Member

Apr 6, 2014
    I think that's the most convenient way to go, for one reason or other you have a game console and you realize it's great for streaming, so it's 2 in 1. ;)

4. AresBlade

AresBlade Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2014
    Would you go so far as to buy a gaming console for it's versatility, or do you consider media streaming to be an add-on to the gaming? As I mentioned, I bought a second PS3 because I wanted the streaming capabilities. It was second hand though, so maybe it's not a fair comparison.

5. drestauro

drestauro Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2014
    I think it just sort of happens that way. We expermented cutting the cord with an XBox 360. It has all the steaming apps you need, and it can play media from a DLNR server. I was able to rig up a DLNR server that would stream from cbs.com on my windows box and send it over the network to my Xbox 360 to play on my TV set. Eventually we bought an Apple TV for the Airplay, but every now and then when TV networks try to screw cord cutters out of content I'm trying to rig up a solution with a computer and an X-box 360.

6. Gelsemium

Apr 6, 2014
    I would not mind buying a second hand console like you did @AresBlade for streaming purposes, why not? If we just want to try streaming on our own I think it's the best idea.

7. Sugarhill

Sugarhill Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2014
    For me, the streaming is an add-on to the gaming. So, I would have to say that it will really boil down to the make up of the family that is buying. If you don't have any kids or gamers, then I think a console is a very poor choice. But, if it's something that even occasionally, you'd like to do, there is no better option in my mind.

8. Gelsemium

Apr 6, 2014
    Yep, if we already own the console why not give it an extra use, it doesn't cost more and we get our contents going, a good option to cut the cord.

9. johnfrack

johnfrack Member

Dec 12, 2015
    Yes, this is true for my family. We mainly use our ps3 for streaming, Netflix usually. However instead of buying a second gaming console just to watch Netflix, we bought a Fire Stick which comes with streaming options of its own, and the ability to download Netflix.

10. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    I do prefer to use streaming boxes / sticks versus gaming consoles. The primary reasons area: 1 - They boot up / are ready faster than consoles. 2 - I prefer to not use the hard drives of the consoles when all I am going to do is stream video.

This may not work for everyone, but it does for us.

11. ghost_in_the_machine

ghost_in_the_machine movie expert...

Feb 9, 2016
    California
    This isn't a surprise considering the "Next-Gen" (current gen now that they have been out for so long) were advertised as more media centers and less of game consoles. I still remember how lame the Xbox One reveal/conference was, and how little of actual game content was on display. It was all about TV shows and yoga.

UnslaadKrosis likes this.
  12. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Up until the last week I was using my PS3 and PS4 to stream content, yes. Those or just watching on my laptop. Now that I have a Chromecast I doubt I'll go back to them, barring technical difficulties with the device. I don't mind using a gaming console for streaming, but it takes longer to log in and set up.

R34Dream likes this.
  13. R34Dream

R34Dream Member

Feb 6, 2016
    I felt the exact same way. I had a PS3 that I used for years to stream content, because I didn't really have anything else available at the time that I could stream content with. It was slow, yes, but I was able to watch 1080p without hiccups and that was a big deal for me back then, as even my laptop struggled to stream 720p. :p Now that I have a Chromecast, and various other streaming devices, I had all but forgotten about the days of streaming on console. What I wasn't able to stream 6 years ago on a $350 laptop, I can now stream on something that cost me less than a tenth of that (an it can do it faster!). Mind-blowing.

14. Haruka

Haruka Founding Member Founding Member

Dec 3, 2013
    I use my chromecast a lot more because I can use different devices with it. That way anyone in the family can stream and not only the ones who are used to using the gaming consoles. However it's also mostly because we haven't totally embraced online features of our console yet so maybe with the next one we get we will be more into it.