Amazon Fire TV vs Apple TV Comparison

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by AresBlade, Sep 27, 2014.

1. AresBlade

AresBlade Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2014
    Here's a nice little comparison of these two devices. Personally I'd be banking on the Amazon Fire TV being the strongest by far, but does the article agree? Read on and find out. I'd love to hear your opinions as well!

http://thefusejoplin.com/2014/09/amazon-fire-tv-apple-tv-streaming-media-players-smackdown/

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Founding Member Founding Member

Apr 6, 2014
    Thanks for sharing this Ares, I always love to see these comparisons because they allow us to see the reality of the offered services. Sometimes we think one might be better, but nothing like seeing the big picture and all the expenses attached.

4. drestauro

drestauro Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2014
    I have an apple TV, but that's only because we were invested in the Apple ecosystem. The ability to install XBMC on The Fire puts it ahead of the ATV3 in my book.

5. Gelsemium

Apr 6, 2014
    What is the Apple ecosystem exactly Drestauro? Are you happy with the Apple TV or would you prefer to have another service?

6. drestauro

Sep 22, 2014
    My Wife has an iPhone and an iPad. We went with the Apple TV for the ease of casting those devices to the TV with Airplay. I'm completely happy with it. I just want a Fire to play with XBMC. Currently I'm using "Serviio" to serve media from a desktop to an Xbox360 so I have two solutions. I think I could get it down to one device with the Fire TV. I feel all the set top devices are more than adequate. The differences really shine when you start to experiment with your geek side.

Gelsemium likes this.
  7. AresBlade

AresBlade Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2014
    I'm invested in the Apple environment the same as you are, but I find I can get all the functionality and more with just a Chromecast and the Plex app as airplay. The Fire looks very cool though, so I'd be more interested in having one of those.

8. drestauro

Sep 22, 2014
    I ultimately went with Apple because of the user friendliness. I needed an easy sell with the Wife and kids. No one does UI better then apple, and it looks pretty. Fire or Chromecast didn't exist when we cut, but I personally like both of those more because of the flexibility. I wouldn't recommend a Chromecast though for a new cordcutter with little tech experience. Not to say that it isn't workable, it’s just doesn't take you by the hand like the other streamers do.

9. Gelsemium

Apr 6, 2014
    I agree with that, if we do have a geek side I am pretty sure Apple can satisfy it, not to mention that they offer a full package, it has to be good, but shouldn't be too cheap also.

10. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2014
    I don't have an apple TV, but I'm interested in getting one very soon. I've been downloading more content on Itunes lately and I'd like to be able to watch that on my television. I think it's well worth the $99 dollar investment that Apple is asking for.

11. derrek

derrek Member

Mar 31, 2015
    I don't like the fact that it costs £99, but you have to fork over an additional £5 every time you want to see a film. This is still cheaper than seeing the film in the cinema. I guess this just makes me appreciate Netflix, it's quite revolutionary.