Almost a cord cutter

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by boB3rd, Aug 10, 2016.

1. boB3rd

boB3rd New Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Hello everyone. I am very close to cutting my ties with DirecTV. I have a Roku 3 with Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and many other channels that seem to provide me with almost everything I like to watch on TV. My DTV bill is outrageous. Every other channel on DTV is infomercial related. I think I am ready to cancel that account and give them all of their equipment back. My only question now is stimulated by my watching the Olympics on my local channel. Is there a way I could gain on demand access to my local channels? Is there a systematic comparison of channel comparison between DTV and Roku channels? Thanks. Glad I found this forum to take advantage of those more experienced at this than I am.

LeoIrish likes this.
  2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. LeoIrish

LeoIrish Community Leader

Mar 28, 2015
    First of all, welcome to the group. I have learned a great amount of being a member, and I hope you will feel the same.

By saying "on demand", what exactly are you looking for? Are you referencing watching shows? Recording live events? As for live events, the only way I know to have them "on demand" would be to record them - most likely with a DVR via an antenna. Are you able to mount an antenna / receive good signals?

4. Double D

Double D Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2016
    Welcome aboard! I joined this forum this past spring and I couldn't be happier with the knowledge and experience that is shared. You have Hulu Netflix and Prime already so your ahead of the game. Personally I have all those and have Sling TV ( blue package) for live tv. I, too, had Direct TV and couldn't wait to call and cancel. If DVR is something that you need then maybe PlayStation Vue is a better option than Sling but you will pay more. I found that I do not need DVR anymore especially since Hulu has all my shows available the next day. Either way, cord cutting has a learning curve and now that I know where to find everything, I save a bundle per month and I actually get more now then I did with Direct TV.

5. njmurvin

njmurvin Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2016
    For the networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, and a few others) you can set up an antenna if you can get a signal. Playstation Vue is the only streaming service I'm aware of for live network stations and that's only in some cities. Sling TV has live cable channels. I'm fortunate to get antenna reception for the networks (sometimes flaky ABC and FOX) but I watch most of my network stuff on Hulu (sans commercials). I'm also an ex-Directv customer and it felt really good to replace their $170/mo bill with about $60 in streaming services.

6. Double D

Double D Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2016
    NBC and Fox are available live on Sling TV. I think ABC is also available in a $5 package.