Advice on sound bars?

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by cliverederson, Nov 25, 2013.

1. cliverederson

cliverederson Founding Member Founding Member

Nov 19, 2013
    A sound bar seems like it could be a good solution for my setup, I just have a simple Ikea shelf under my wall-mounted 55" Samsung TV, I like to keep my "entertainment center" area very simple and clean, the shelf only has my Xbox 360, Mac mini, and my 3TB external harddrive sitting on it. Well, and a nice looking little box from Ikea that I use to hide all of the cables. I also have a plant and little vase on it, I think it looks very nice, I might post a pic on here sometime, I'm pretty proud of my minimalism in its design.

Anyway, I've been considering a sound bar for my TV in the past. I got close to purchasing one that was pretty well-reviewed, I think it was a Sony brand, but it's been a while now. I know it was around the price of $200. I don't think I'm a huge stickler for sound, after all I use my built-in TV speakers (is that sac-relig around here?) and they seem pretty good to me. I've read a sound bar can simulate surround sound pretty well if it's able to be level with about where your ears are, which I'm thinking if I mounted a sound bar right under my TV, would achieve the right height, give or take. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here had any advice on brands (staying around $200 give or take would be nice), or if sound bars are even worth it? If anyone has actually had one and a surround sound system, that'd be very interesting to know how they compare. I'd love to hear any advice on this, thanks!

2. Avatar

Forum Sponsor Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. mattattack

mattattack Member

Mar 20, 2015
    I have a sound bar, a Bose one. I know people argue that it's overrated nonsense but I will admit that for me the sound is pretty good. I'm not an audio connoisseur however, so it may be just that I'm naive to the options out there. I'd recommend one.

4. ghost_in_the_machine

ghost_in_the_machine movie expert...

Feb 9, 2016
    California
    My sound bar is horrible. I had one of those that comes with a TV and let me tell you, I'll take the effort and money for surround sound versus the sound bar any day. Whenever there's a deep bass sound, the whole bar just makes this awful shrieking sound.

5. njmurvin

njmurvin Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2016
    I helped a buddy install his Sonos system last weekend. Installation was a breeze (all wireless except the optical cable from the TV to the Playbar). It included the Playbar, Subwoofer and two rear satellite speakers. Pricey ... but it sounds great.